Thursday 13 November 2014

Buddy the Elf - What's your favourite colour?*

A cold day which saw rain, sun, snow, blizzard and wind all in one day.

After I saw Smallest off onto the bus and took Small and Tuba to school, I had my breakfast, loaded my car with my Winter Tyres (which isn't as easy as it sounds) and went to the forest to wak with NoCustard. It was really cold and today we were armed with our secateurs and rucksacks ready to collect some lovely greenery for our winter planters.

We walked for a good hour along one trail and then joined a different one. Once our backpacks were full of greens we left. I really wanted a mossy log but they were too big to carry.

It snowed just a little bit while we were walking but as I drove home I drove through rain which turned to snow which turned to a blizzard with horizontal snow. I popped home to get my coat and then drove to the garage where I left my car and walked home in the blizzard which turned to sunshine.

After lunch I made pizza dough for dinner, chocolate marshmallow muffins (now called Fluffins after a game we used to play called Fluffy Bunnies using Marshmallows) and sat and prepared vegetables for our stew tomorrow.

I walked back to get my car, still cold and a bit snowy. None of the snow settled despite the fact there was quite a bit this afternoon.

The boys came home, did homework and piano practice and then when Huffle came home we had pizza watching Arthur Christmas (I know it's a bit early) and a bit of Elf*. Smallest says next time the phone rings he wants to answer it with 'Hello Buddy the Elf, What's your favourite colour?' I said he could.

Smallest's homework today was to finish the sentence 'when we had the two minutes silence for Rememberance day I thought about'....... Smallest then asked me about Grandad Ic. I told him that he played the trumpet to entertain the soldiers so they didn't miss home so much. He asked if he died in the war. I told him he didn't. He said "can I say he did?". I didn't think he should. I then told him about the soldier who was killed recently in Ottawa guarding the Tomb of the unknown soldier. He ended up writing this:-

On Rememberance Day during the two minutes of silence, I thought of the soldiers who died in the war. My Grandad was playing the trumpet to entertain the soldiers. A couple of weeks ago a soldier got shot. He was guarding a tomb of a dead soldier from the war. That's what I thought about during the two minutes of silence. Ahhhh bless.

No comments: