Monday 17 September 2018

Fat Neck!!

I went back to my doctor on the Monday after my exercise class and burst into tears whilst trying to talk to the poor receptionist/Secretary.  She said I should have the test if that’s what he said but I could do it when I was more calm if I wanted.

Unluckily for my friend Suffolk, who lives very close to my doctors, I popped to hers for a calming cup of tea.  I was in a bit of a state.  Among the various tests I am having, I was also quite worried about MrsElderflowerMeadow.  Anyway, Suffolk, always the calm and sensible one, talked me down and made me realise that if I was going to have to have the test, I may as well have it and not put it off.

So, Tuesday afternoon, I went in to the Heart Clinic and got fitted with a blood pressure monitor that would beep every twenty minutes in the day and every hour through the night.  I had a heart monitor around my chest connected to three extremely sticky pads with another monitor that sat on my belly.  I had a pulse monitor on my finger and wrist and a recorder dangling from my waist plus at night I had tubes in my nose to check my breathing.  Honestly, it all felt a bit ridiculous and I kept expecting someone to come out with video cameras for some silly TV show!

I drove home connected to the blood pressure monitor which was an experience.  During the night Huffle and I were woken (if we went to sleep) every hour.  I could actually tell my blood pressure was low because I could tell how much it was deflating.  I’m an expert now!

So, to cut a very long night short, I ripped it all off at 7am,, got half an hour sleep and then did my exercise class before driving off to collect Suffolk for my appointment to discuss my results.

The doctor started by telling me I had normal blood pressure and no sleep apnoea.  All I could think was thank you for wasting my nights sleep and so many trips backwards and forwards.  I don’t mean to sound ungrateful but really?  Not over the top?  He asked me if I was disappointed and kept going on about the fact that my neck was over 16inches.  He was a pig, he didn’t listen, he wasn’t interested in anything I said and I would have punched him on the nose if Suffolk hadn’t been there.  Suffice to say, when I got home I measured my neck and it was a mere 13”.  I’m hoping all this is over now and when my doctor receives his report, he will just leave me alone and let me get on with it.  So far I have ‘had’ a heart attack, blood clots, pulmonary embolism, kidney stones, sleep apnea, high blood pressure and really all it probably was, was a bad case of indigestion!

Moral of the story:  don’t eat three curries and a pint of beer!

And just to prove how ridiculous all the machinery was, here’s a very embarrassing photo!

4 comments:

Sarah Tomson said...

Oh dear now I see what you mean about your doctors visit ..... Sounded a nightmare! Still at least they've given you a thorough check up even if he did have a dodgy tape measure!!! I must say despite looking almost Lara croftlike in the pic with all your 'body armour' you are looking fab, keep up the good work xx

Wonder Woman said...

keep smiling and being fab xx

Spanish Chica said...

Glad everything's ok. You do look good in that get up lol!

AA said...

I'm loving the look, I think you should keep it! xx