Friday 24 January 2014

Do yours have a beard?

Oh my goodness it was cold today. I think it started at -17* with windchill of mid 20's which isn't anywhere near as cold as it has been but I really felt it. There was a sprinkling of snow overnight and tomorrow we have been forecast a big dumping of about 17cm. So of course, I went shopping and bought food in case we were snowed in.

This morning I banned all devices from the boys as I was completely fed-up with their constant bickering and quarrelling. Small burst into tears and couldn't believe I had banned EVERYTHING. Smallest just ran away for five minutes, sulked and came back to see if I would play Guess Who. Last night, after a bickering session about who wanted to watch which TV programme, we explained to them that we had televisions, IPads, IPhone and a Wii - all of which were able to play Netflix (which is the main thing they watch). Yet still they sit on the same sofa, normally under the same blanket, watching the same TV but moaning about who watched what!

At knitting today it was very loud and I took a number of things with me. I finished my second thrum sock (hurrah) and then I started on sewing up my cardi. I had a lesson in proper sewing up and managed one side and half a sleeve before giving up because of hunger and going shopping. One should never go shopping for food when one is hungry. I wanted everything and although I only went in for a few things to keep us going through the weekend, I bought enough for the whole week. Oh well, maybe I don't have to go next week now.

Once home I rushed my shopping inside because it was sooooo cold (have I already said that?), put away all that needed fridging or freezing and made a banana sandwich (very healthy considering I had consumed two big handfuls of crisps on the way home to sustain me!). I watched a little bit of Bletchley Circle and then made dinner and put the rest of the shopping away plus had a bit of a tidy round.

I had a lovely Skype call with HB and Aunt Pear with a brief appearance from CousinPest and GP. We had a really good catch up and they managed to stay on long enough to see the boys come home from school, though not long enough for them to speak as we had to get off to swimming lessons.

Huffle came home in time for swimming and we watched Smallest have a lesson all by himself, do a fairly good dive, have three instructors trying to help him do 'whip kick' and swim 75m. We watched Small perfect his strokes, ice rescue for himself and to rescue someone else and a shallow dive. Once again they both did very well and were quite tired afterwards.

I had set the stove (which is working wonderfully by the way and Sears sent us a $50 giftcard for any inconvenience we were caused) to come on while we were out so it would cook our dinner and although it hadn't been on long enough to cook completely, it was a nice smell to come home to.

As there were no gadgets this evening (apart from me blogging on the IPad and Huffle checking the weather), the boys played together, really nicely, with Guess Who. I started playing with Smallest but when Small came down after his homework wanting to play too, I suggested they tried to play together. Wish they would do this more often. They were laughing and giggling and had a really good time.

Maybe gadgets and devices should be banned FOREVER!

 

2 comments:

Wonder Woman said...

Gadgets are great but they get so intense with them! BW is obsessed with Minecraft to the point where it is time limited now! I've not had a banana sandwich for years, may have to have one now x

AA said...

You've made me want a banana sandwich too. That's breakfast sorted!

xxx