Tuesday 28 January 2014

Which White?

Temperatures of -27 (windchill) and another day of not the letting the children out at recess or lunchtime. I decided to go shopping for food and paint today. When Moo was here we chose a colour for the kitchen walls called Antique White, which was creamy white with a hint of yellow not pink or grey. I took the paint chart with me even though I went to a different shop. Here we just have one aisle of paint which bamboozled me because there was base paint, tonal paint, medium range, I don't even know if I have the terms correct. I flagged down a lady who worked there and told her I wanted a kitchen paint in an off whiteish colour. She told me to choose the colour first and then we could find the paint. How many different colours can there be for off white? Millions. Three different companies all with their own hundreds of thousands of colour variants. Armed with my colour chart, I tried desperately to match the colour. No way! Impossible. I went from one company's paint to another to another. In the end I grabbed a load of whitey/creamy colours and went back to the desk. I eventually chose a colour called 'Soft Linen' which was in the warm and cosy range. The lady decided on the best paint when I told her which company I wanted. She got the paint and told the computer what colour, opened the lid and a squirt of black, red and yellow squirted into my lovely white. What came out was a lovely colour of what I can only describe as 'soft linen'. Yeah Right! It was just a creamy white. I couldn't wait to get home to try it but had to shop for food first.

At home I had missed a Skype from Aunty Miaow so I grabbed a banana and skyped her back. We had a lovely chat and she showed me her pregnant bump. So exciting, can't wait to see her and the new baby (it better come before or when we visit UK).

I managed to paint a good part of the kitchen and, in my opinion, it is already looking lighter, brighter and better. When the boys came home, Small said he liked the cloud effect and could we keep it (it is obviously patchy because it is the first coat). Smallest liked it and Huffle didn't even notice at first. He is happy that the kitchen is moving along finally though.

Some photos of my trip out this morning. I had to stop the car and wind the window down brrrrrrr.

Last night Small got his Astronomy badge - he is very happy.

 

2 comments:

Wonder Woman said...

Well done Small x Choosing wall colours is one hard task! I can never find the colour that I can visualise on the wall. Happy painting x

Unknown said...

Astronomy badge and an A+ at school - Brilliant, worth a couple of Flakes when you visit Small. Lovely photos Famfa. x