Thursday 30 January 2014

Well I do look different!

It was Assembly Day at school today and Huffle worked from home so he could attend. We were told it started at 9am which in reality meant 9:25am. However, that did mean that we got to sit on the front row, unfortunately for Smallest that meant he had to watch us while he sang "Sing, sing a song......." He was very very embarrassed, his little cheeks went red and he stood there looking like a fidgety rat stuck in a trap! They sang their song and then sat down while the rest of the school came in and sat down. There was a bit of very quick (why do the older girls in the school speak so quickly?) chatter and then a video presentation from Smallest's class. It was all about optimism. Smallest's video clip was the first. "Hello my name is Smallest and I read the book 'I love you forever'. I can relate to this book because........ And my optimistic part was........" Wish I could remember. He was obviously the best and I can't possibly be biased!!! At the end of everyones video, Smallest's part started over again. The school laughed. There were a few technical glitches in the whole assembly. Next came the awards and Smallest got up again, this time to recieve an award for "100% fluency in Reflex Math" which is the computer maths he does at home everyday. Such a clever boy.

We managed to get out before 10am despite the fact I had to pick up excess clothing, lunch bags and certificates from Smallest's peg. I dropped Huffle back at home and then went on to meet my Welsh friend at a new place I hadn't been to before. On the way the sun was out, the lake was sparkling in the distance and the snow looked so crisp and bright, it was gorgeous and really made me smile. I actually thought how lucky we were to be living in such a beautiful place. (Obviously been here too long!!!!!). It was a kind of brunch we had and I had a waffle and lots of yummy fresh fruit with maple syrup - it was AWESOME! We stayed for quite a while chattering on about life in Canada, she has been here about the same time as us and has two older children, one in University. I really like her and we swapped addresses and made another date to meet up. I drove on to a DIY shop to buy what I thought were called Plug Covers - the surrounding plate that goes around a plug socket. Only they are not called that here, they are called Switch Plates - except our plug sockets here do not have switches so how does that make sense?

Once back home Huffle fitted the PLUG COVERS and swapped some others around. We had orangey pine ones in the kitchen before to match the orangey pine cupboards. Now our cupboards are painted white and the walls cream (sorry, Soft Linen) the brushed steel ones look much cleaner and more up to date. We are getting there.

As Huffle was working away at the computer in the Living Room, I decided to get out of his way and spent a couple of blissful hours listening to my music sewing on Cubs Badges on Smalls uniform and blanket and trying to finish the Monkey hat Moo started. When the boys came home it took them a while to come up to me and Smallest came up last, hence the conversation at dinner*. Small had homework which included needing to know how many hours a week we used the washer, dryer, dishwasher, TV, DVD, Wii, cooker etc etc. Then he had to work out how much energy they all used - that's where I passed him back to Huffle - I do not do Maths! Small also did his Literacy homework which was to find five words he didn't know or found interesting, write their meaning and put them in a sentence. He also has to study for a test on Monday but we said he could do that over the weekend. Tomorrow is a PA day.

*Our dinner time conversation was talking about how Smallest always goes to Huffle first before me. It was a very lighthearted conversation and we talked about being adopted (neither of them are) and Smallest said "We are not adopted, we are yours", then he thought for a minute and said "but I do look different to you all" and genuinely looked like he was considering if he had been adopted or not. We told him we went to the orphanage and asked for the noisiest baby they had!!!!

 

 

No comments: