Friday 13 April 2012

Is that dog wearing a hat?

The boys have been going on the school bus for a couple of months now and have never ever missed it................. Until today. Now the only difference to today is.......... That Grandma and Grandad are here, therefore it must be their fault that the bus went this morning without Small and Smallest on it.

I chucked the kids in the car, no time for lengthy goodbyes, just a quick wave through the window. I had no shoes on, no make-up on, not even brushed my hair. Drove to the school and did a Peck and Squeal*

Grandma, Grandad and I decided to got to Port Perry today. It was a beautiful clear sunny day. I used my GPS to get there but I was so busy looking at the beautiful scenery and houses that 'stand well*' that we took a wrong turn several times. In the end I gave the GPS to Grandad and he got us there. On the way we had to use a road that was covered in sand. The sign at the beginning of the road said "no exit" but we thought we would try it anyway. A sign further down said something like "use this road at your own risk". I had a feeling that the road might suddenly end. Grandma thought that it was like being in a video game. I bumped her quite a lot due to the roughness of the road.

We had a wander down the main street. Had a cup of tea/coffee and scone in a fancy tea room and then wandered some more.

Easter Bunny or mad hatter

Chair made of hockey sticks

We decided a lot of the shops that we went in were "I saw you coming" shops (from the Harry Enfield TV show) but were lovely to look at. I popped into the Post Office and was talking to the lady in there about stamps etc. there was a man in there trying to send a parcel and he was struggling to read the label to write the customs form. The lady said "you could ask this lady, she's English, she might recognise it!". I had a look and it said Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire. I said a "Oh that's where I come from Leicestershire - it's a lovely county.". He asked if I could spell it. "lei" "l-e-i?" he said? "ces" "c-e-s?" he said. No wonder he couldn't decipher it, it was joined up very bubbly writing. He was very grateful. Fancy going into that post office right then and finding someone who needed to spell Leicestershire.

Grandad found an ice-cream shop. He can smell ice-cream from miles away. It was a lovely old fashioned style sweet shop. It sold Chocolate Penguins in there for 75cents. We all had an ice-cream and sat next the lake.

Mine is an frozen yoghurt, not a cup of coffee
trees
Last time I was here (with Aunty A) the water was ice
This reminded me of Antigua - Grandma laughed at me
If only it had a paddle on the back, it would be a paddle steamer (Grandma's words)
grandad looking out to 'sea'
Very still water

Grandma just finished her ice-cream or did she throw it away?

Grandma and I wanted to go into the wee Scottish shop, we didn't realise we had left Grandad behind. When we turned around he was nowhere to be seen. We thought he had gone into the bank. So we carried on and tried to take a photo a dog we saw who was wearing a hat. I couldn't get one so Grandma decided to talk to the man with the hat wearing dog. Incidentally the man had a matching hat! The dog was called Abbey Road (we think) and the owner said the dog had no teeth (I thought he said she had no feet, I looked down and thought well I can see four!). He was a big Beatles fan!

Abbey Road or Abbey Rose with four feet and no teeth

We talked to a man who called himself "Bob" (which can be spelt the same backwards or forwards he said) but was really called Leroy. He was sitting outside a hardware shop that sold lovely rocking chairs. He told me I should buy one and that my husband wouldn't mind! I rang Huffle who said he did mind and that they were too expensive. PAH! They were nice.

We still hadn't found Grandad so we headed back the way we had come. He was sitting watching the bikers.

Watching the harleys

Ahhhh aren't they sweet?

Grandad found an Irish pub and we had a drink and lunch. Very nice.

Moosehead

We walked back to the car and drove the wrong way again but Grandad got us back on track. I wanted to stop at a shop I have passed many times so we had a quick look. It was disappointing, the best stuff was outside. Oh well at least I won't wonder about it when I pass it again.

We came home and sat in the sunshine on the porch and waited for the boys to come home on the bus.

Grandma went to sleep on the sofa. Grandad played the hockey game and dinosaur trumps with Smallest.

Huffle came home early and we all had dinner together. There was more table hockey played, then they watched TV before bed.

 

*peck and squeal = they give me a peck (kiss) and I squeal (drive away)!

*stands well = A well known phrase used by Grandad about houses he likes the look of.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see icecream figured on the first day and you had numerous pictures of Grandma (who just loves having her photo taken!). Also pleased Canada not changed Huffle
(rocking chair). Hope the boys make the bus this morning or is it Smallest Friday off? Am up early to pack for Wimbledon, we are not organised and Matt decided to go out to the pub last night instead of packing. Aunt Pear.x

Anonymous said...

Keep the pictures of the ice creams coming, tell Grandma and Grandad that they have the challenge to match the Super Ice Creams made at our place last summer! Love from Deb (aka Cookie)