Monday 30 April 2012

Raccoon Peepo

Huffle came home from the committee meeting bored out of his mind. We sat watching My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding (very strange. We have a different narrator here and most of the words are subtitled, they obviously think Canadians and Americans can't understand them, which is fair as we have trouble!), when Huffle heard a crash outside. We paused the TV and ran to look. The compost bin had been knocked over. A raccoon (our first sighting) was bobbing up and down playing peepo with us. We tried to take a photo but he ran away. It was quite funny. I know they can be vicious but he looked really cute hiding behind the bin. However, I did not think he was cute this morning when I found the contents of the compost bin all chewed and strewn around the garden and the black bin bag split and rubbish all in the bottom of the box we had put it in. Bloomin' nuisance!

This is a really bad photo but if you can make it bigger you can just see Rupert the Raccoon peeping. He is above the white stripe which is a bag of compost. I can make out his striped head but Huffle says I'm imaging it. I know he is there because I saw him in the flash when I took the photo!
Smallest and I were at home today. We had shopping to do. He played on the computer whilst I Skyped Yahoo and Maggot. We had a nice long chat. It was good to catch up as we haven't spoken for ages. Poor Maggot has been poorly in hospital and has to stay off school for two weeks - poor Yahoo too. Maggot showed me her new hamster (couldn't see it as it was asleep).

We had a fairly slow morning, bit of tidying and cleaning and then we went off shopping. By the time we got back and put everything away (not that Smallest would help!), it was time for lunch so we had it in front of Kung Foo Panda. I made my sock monkey whilst I was watching (I had permission from Smallest, as long as I watched when he told me to). We played a few games and waited for Small to come home.

He requested Macaroni Cheese for dinner (one of Small's favourites but Smallest is not normally a big fan). I made it anyway and they ate it hungrily (still not sure it is Smallest's favourite).

I taught them a new card game and told them it was one that we played when Grandma and Grandad and the Royals were here. They thought that was great and wanted to know when we could have cheese and crackers and crisps! cheeky Monkies!

They argued over who watched what on which TV, honestly, these two could argue for the Olympics! In the end Small stomped off in a grump so I let Smallest watch his thing for half an hour. Small came down "it's not fair..........," and watched TV in the basement. Then after half and hour, Small watched his thing on TV and Smallest and I coloured in.

When it was time for bed I said Small could stay up for ten minutes more at which point Smallest erupted and had a tantrum that lasted for an hour in total. I took away four of his precious soft toys, a puzzle and the contents of his Moneybox. He hit me, he screamed at small, he locked himself in our bedroom (luckily I know how to open it fromthe outside). He pulled all the covers off our bed (after I had changed all the sheets). Huffle rang in the middle of it all (he is out playing baseball or softball for work), and tried to reason with him but he didn't calm at all. Then he had a sit in (or lie in) in our bed, naked, with the window open where I left him for ten minutes to cool down (literally). Then I went up and had a quiet chat and told him I thought he should get into bed before Huffle came home and took more things off him. He had calmed down by then and cleaned his teeth, got his PJ's on and got into bed. I gave him three things back and told him he had to earn the others tomorrow.

All is quiet now. Am waiting for Huffle to come home and help me eat the Carrot and Tomato soup I have made.

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh dear sounds a tricky end of day for smallest. HB & I will skype later today. Unc Pear living the life of luxury in Gullen Scotland til Sunday,so its very calm here! Aunt Pear.xx

Anonymous said...

Oh poor you. I hate doing bed times on my own. I think your smallest and my master Rumbleskins sound very similar in temperament! Mrs Rumbleskins

Anonymous said...

You have the patience of a Saint Famfa, I'd be out buying a strait jacket I think, but for me or Smallest, that would be the question, lol! The Racoons would only be fierce if they felt threatened or they had young close by, they wouldn't just attack you for no reason. Last year when we were camping two of them came round every night and checked the picnic tables. The people next to us had visitors with them one night and had a big cook out and the Racoons came by and stole the left over food while the family were sitting round the campfire. Took it virtually from under their noses it was really funny!!

Brenda

SandeeNC said...

Oh I just a raccoon sighting too but this one wasn't a bit shy, he really wanted my downstairs neighbor's birdseed! He was actually out in the late afternnon, which isn't too unheard of around here where we live. You just have to keep your eye out for the rabbid ones, they will chase you down and bite you, then you're in big trouble! This is my post: http://inthehillsofnorthcarolina.blogspot.com/2012/04/raccoon-noun.html let me know if you have any more animal posts, i would love to see what you have around you! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

famfa said...

Aunt pear. Make the most f the peace.
Mrs Rumbleskins - do you mean the naughtiness might be our side of the family? NOOOOOOOO!
Brenda - raccoons have the most comical faces. I won't be scared next time I see one but I may not invite him in!
Sandee - how do you know if they are rabid. When they bite you? Ha ha

Anonymous said...

Well famfa, my mum does like to say that particular temperamental temperament comes from you know who! Mrs Rumbleskins

famfa said...

Mrs Rumbkeskins : oh dear. We're fighting a lost cause then I guess. I bet my mum would say the same! Good luck x