Wednesday 25 April 2012

Skunk or Grandad

Grandad's friend 'Quiche' sat with us last night and recalled funny stories and experiences. He is English and came over here thirty years ago. He told us that the smell of a skunk was awful, even when it was dead!

Grandma, Grandad and I got ready early and went off to 'our beach'. I drove straight there, without my GPS, without going wrong. Wahooooo. There was a school bus there and a school party but they stayed close to the beginning of the walk and didn't walk to the beach. We were well dressed (for the cold not for a party!), ready for the cold but the the sun was out and it was a pleasant temperature for walking.

The chickadees were following us as we walked and they hopped onto my hand. Unfortunately we didn't have any seed so I picked some off a plant and held that out for them. They kept coming very close but didn't eat it.
The trees were looking particularly lovely today
Grandma smelt a bad smell on the way and we wondered if it was a skunk. We got to the beach and the wind immediately dropped. It was gorgeous, just perfect except there were loads of midges and a few Mosquitos (hope they didn't bite me - I stayed covered up).

Grandma couldn't believe it was a lake (HB)! The colours of the lake were lovely. Grandad looked out at the lake and said "One day snow...................." and gestured with his arms out! Exactly!
As it was lunchtime (nearly) when we got there, we stopped for a toasted bagel and a cup of tea (which we took with us)?
"That water looks nice over there.......
And over there!"
Grandad did lots of skimming. He got a "9". Grandma and I went for a walk one way to check out the houses. Grandad sat on the picnic rug and listened to Pink Floyd on his phone. There was no one else on the beach and it was very relaxing and peaceful. We thought the beach smelt just like the sea-side and I made this comment "I wish I could photograph that smell!". Grandma knew exactly what I meant but said I had to blog about it as it was silly! I jumped onto a rock in the sea.

Mermaid?
It was really really warm. Grandma is fanning herself because it was soooo warm.
Grandad is celebrating his "9" skimmer!
I sat and piled these stones up.
Grandad went off for a walk to see which house he liked best (he took his dodgy music with him!). Then I walked in the other direction. Normally you can't get that way so I walked for ages. I was looking in the wooded areas along the side to see if I could find any Trilliums. There weren't any. I picked up a lovely piece of driftwood for Huffle and another heart stone.

Huffle's driftwood (he collects it).
I wanted this log but Grandad wouldn't take it back for me!




WARNING***WARNING

Here they are again (and No Everett, they are not normally this much in loooovvve)

Holding hands!!!!!

Some lovely pictures from my walk by myself

"Oh here she is, back from her jaunt"

On the way back we smelt the smell again and asked Grandad if it was him (It Was!!!).

More trees. We saw wild violet, dogs tooth lily, Solomon seal, lots of raspberry canes and beautiful red dogwood.

 

When we got to the wigwam (everyone has there photo taken in it although it is falling down slightly now), Grandad asked if I needed him to get in it! Has anyone seen a white crested lesser spotted bottom stinker?

" Ouch, help, I'm stuck and I can't turn around!".

"Hey here I am!"

"C'Mon my little chickadee!"

We came straight home (without getting lost again!). Grandma and I popped to a supermarket and I showed her Dollarama - she likes it there too. She bought some tasty things to take home. Grandad was left in charge of the boys when they came home!

Huffle came home and we all had Many Bean Paella - oh oh Grandad Skunk!!!!!!!!

Mr & Mrs Royal are coming round this evening for a game of cards.







 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh dear grandad, smelly bottoms even reach Canada. Brave grandma sitting next to him even in the fresh air of the beach, it has to be true love! HB will be jealous of the lake/sea photos. It look beautiful as ever.