Wednesday 2 May 2012

Wood, woods and woody woodpecker

Once the boys had left for school I set about mopping the floors. The lounge floor is all wood which, since we have been here, I have struggled to find something that doesn't smear. While Grandma was here we found an Oil Soap (98% natural ingredients using vegetable oil) that supposedly doesn't smear. I had a good workout mopping all the floors. It smelt really good and dried to a nice finish without smearing (apart from the bits I stood on and moved the furniture about).

I weighed myself at the weekend and was disgusted at the amount of weight I have put on since moving here. Therefore, I am on day three of no chocolate and no butter. I am writing this down in an attempt at making it more real. If I tell you, then you can tell me off if you see me or hear of me eating things I shouldn't. I need to stop thinking of being here as a holiday and stop eating like I am on holiday. Also when visitors they are really on holiday, so at least I should eat sensibly when they are not here. I also need to do more exercise.

I rang Mrs Royal and asked her if she fancied a walk in the forest and we agreed to go in the afternoon, which gave me enough time to Skype Moo - we talked about tablecloths and boxer shorts among other things. Grandma and Madamme Courvoisier Skyped me (they were together) and we talked about Smallest's tantrum last night.

Mrs Royal, Arty and I drove to the forest and had a really good, energetic up and downhill walk. It was lovely. There were many trilliums, some out but most not quite. Maybe next week. We saw some red ones, mainly white ones and even spotted a white one tinged with green. Will have to get one of those definitely.

This amazing tree had a vine wrapped around it. Loved it.

Trillium nearly out
This is going to be a carpet of loveliness soon
My walking companions
On the way out of the forest we heard a really loud knocking like someone was chopping a tree down - I thought it was going to be a lumberjack (sorry Aunty A, it wasn't). It was the biggest woodpecker I have ever seen. It was really big and I tried very hard to get a good picture (as I am aware I was lacking with the raccoon photo!)! But he flew away.

We walked for about an hour and a half.

When I got back I checked out the Trilliums that we planted at the weekend and one is now flowering beautifully.

The boys came home and after telling me that they had a wish list for the book fair tomorrow (both had $33 books on their list), they went off and played at their friends house a few doors away.

They came home, tidied their toys away in the garden (without arguing), had dinner and watched TV. I spoke to Smallest and explained that Small was going to go to bed later than him because he was older and it would allow him to get ready without fighting and that I didn't want to see another tantrum. He was fine and agreed to go to bed when we said. He did. No arguing. Huffle is up there now reading to him while Small gets ready in peace.

Dinner is bubbling away. Earlier we had a storm and horrendous rain. The storm seems to have gone away but is forecast for tomorrow and Friday.

We have Portfolio Day tomorrow which I think is a bit like parents evening. The boys have been busy at school preparing for it.

 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We were supposed to get that storm, 70% chance of a severe storm yesterday and it just didn't happen. Frankly we need the rain! Your woodpecker is a Pileated Woodpecker, I think it's the largest one found in North America and Canada, we see them quite frequently up North. They make a hell of a racket don't they? Love the Trilliums, we went for a walk on Sunday morning and saw a lot of them open.

Hugs
Brenda