Tuesday 9 July 2013

Tractor vs Mummy

There was so much rainfall last night, the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) was flooded in parts and many places had power outages. Huffle's work had no power, consequently, after coming home earlier than normal to avoid the storm, he ended up working all evening trying to sort the matter in his office. Then he had to get up at 4am as he was expecting a telephone call to decide what was happening for the rest of the day.

Two photos we found online showed how bad the rain was. Lots of roads were closed. They estimated we would get 100mm of rainfall. 300,000 people were without power around the city. Some people were trapped on the subway.

The top photo is the Go Train (double decker train) and the bottom photo is a man coming off the train! What a nightmare. We had more storms and rain forecast through the night. We got the rain but no storm thank goodness.

Huffle went off to work much earlier than normal. The boys, Moo and I made a picnic (we are experts now), headed out to swimming lessons where we had to time the three people in Small's class and count their lengths. We had two stopwatches and three people counting and we still got in a mess!

Smallest and his class mate swam (well she mainly complained and said she couldn't do it!!! The instructor told her to just "get on with it").

We attempted to drive to the beach, the one nearest to us with a park where we could park close and take lots of stuff without having to carry it too far. However, my sat Nav took us to the wrong part, where there was no beach so we turned round a few times until I got my bearings and got to the correct one. By which time we were hungry.

We settled on the newly combed beach, chairs, rugs, brolly there but not up, and ate our picnic. In the middle of it, our friend with the tractor came along. We better move says Moo. OH no says I, we're going nowhere. It got closer and closer until I went up to it and asked him how long he would be there for. "All afternoon" he said. "No that's not on, what are you doing?" Said I. "Grooming the beach" he said with a sneer. "Well why can't you leave it in its natural state, it's fine as it is". "You see that stuff in the lake? Well it's bacteria and it comes onto the stones and you're standing on it!" He said pompously. "Well do you have a sign that says what you are doing and when?" "Yes, over there". The boys and I checked later and there was no sign, apart from one saying that after heavy rainfall it is not advisable to swim due to bacteria in the water - nothing about tractors picking up stones and kicking up a lot of sand dust. So I told him I didn't think it was fair and that my children were playing and it wasn't safe while he was there making a sandstorm. He looked at me and I thought I was about to lose the fight when he said "yeah okay, I'll stop then, Sorry" and off he went and we didn't see him again. We finished our picnic. Moo and Smallest played Boules (jackers) and Small and I built a castle. Then they let Moo and I read in the sunshine (it was very hot and humid). Small put the Sunbrella up and they sat inside. Little did we know that Small was covering Smallest with sand. He had it EVERYWHERE!

It got too hot for us so we moved off and drove to the ice cream shop.

I'm not supposed to mention that Moo got ice cream on her glasses and in her hair so don't tell her I told you!

Then we came home and jumped in the pool where Smallest subsequently lost his wobbly tooth. Huffle was home and jumped in and rescued it for him.

Moo skyped Badminton Babe and had a catch up.

We all went in for dinner and showers, TV, table tennis and bed.

 

Last night Moo and I played about four games of Upset. I won every one. I was very lucky with the dice. Moo was very unlucky, every card she picked up and every dice she threw. It was funny (she thought so too!).

 

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hb and I off to London for 2 days. Pompeii exhib today hampton court flower sho tomoro. Looking forward to it and spend time today with Matt, he as day off.