Friday 9 December 2016

Why isn't the tree lit?*

Huffle and I are not sleeping well at the moment. We go to sleep easily enough but we wake up some time during the night and then stay awake for far too long! Both of us have stuff on our mind, possibly mindless, useless rubbish, but still enough to stop us sleeping. We are soooo very tired.

Huffle went off to work for a meeting, but not before the kids had cleared his windscreen for him as it had snowed overnight again. We didn't get too much snow, just a decent covering. It was cold though and we had more snow later.

The road to knitting

I went to knitting but didn't do an awful lot except for drink coffee and chat. Suffolk and I went for lunch afterwards and then a quick shop, before I went off to buy cake supplies.

I arrived home at the same time as Huffle. Today he had a meeting with his new boss who has given him a new role and he is now responsible for three people. He is happy but did ask if a pay-rise was included. Apparently the answer was "wait until April and we'll see". BOOOOOO.

I went for a walk with ClownRose. She wasn't happy either so we had a very quiet walk (for us anyway). Even littlFin went to sleep. It was nice to get some air even though it was very icy air.

Our unploughed path (sidewalk)
Snowy silo field

The boys came home and I made a soup for Small and I as I had made a stew in the slow cooker this morning for the other two (Small hates stew). Our soup was butternut, carrot, lentils, potatoes and garlic. It was yummy. We had it with my dumplings which are more like scones as I don't use suet.

Piano practice was done while I made Miss9's (Suffolks youngest) birthday cake. She requested a Snoopy one. I had lots of ideas but none of them seemed to work so I gave up and ended up with a chocolate round sandwich cake with choc fudge buttercream and then placed Snoopy, my third attempt at Woodstock and Linus. Unfortunately they started to fall apart and ended up being stuck with cocktails sticks, which I found out today were called toothpicks, not cocktail sticks. I must remember to tell Suffolk, we don't want someone eating the sticks! Originally the cake was supposed to be a snowy scene with Snoopy on his kennel but the snow was too creamy coloured and not white enough. I hope she'll like it. Suffolk is picking it up tomorrow for Miss9's birthday. While I was attaching the mixing blades to my hand mixer, I got my finger caught and it started. It was very painful. DO NOT STICK YOUR FINGER IN A MIXER WHEN IT IS ON!!!! It is bruised and hurts but it's not broken. Silly girl! I am always so careful when the boys are anywhere near the mixer too. Good job it wasn't my big mixer, else I would have lost a finger I think.

This evening was the Tree Lighting in the Hamlet so we all wrapped up warm and walked down to the centre of the village. We had hot chocolate (too sweet, always too sweet here), a candy cane and a biscuit (cookie) and then later we were handed a homemade cookie that the Cubs had made. The tree was lit, the Cubs, Scouts and Brownies were gathered and then they sang, accompanied by 'MrBlowongInTheWind'. StinkyAlanFartridge came to get Small but I said "he's not singing". When he questioned it Huffle said "he will sing right here instead". Small had said he didn't want to sing with them so we said fair enough. When they start to put on activities for the Scouts, then he might come and sing for them (though he probably won't). Smallest just opened and closed his mouth, didn't sing, didn't even try to look like he was singing, naughty bear! *"why isn't the tree lit" were my words as we arrived, despite the fact we were there for the tree lightening DOH!!!

It snowed while the singing continued which was nice. There was a big turnout and as usual we just stood on the edge, not really talking to anyone. We are so antisocial. We walked home and got warm. I finished the cake and Huffle cleared away and added the obligatory oooohs and ahhhs when needed.

We finally sat down after 9pm when both boys were in bed and watched the silliness that is Celebrity Juice Christmas Special.

 

 

No comments: