Tuesday 21 February 2017

Elite Seedlings

I did NOT want to wake up this morning. I was snoozing well and apparently well wrapped up in my quilt. The boys went to school and nothing spectacular happened, so they said. Huffle worked from the kitchen table sitting on a hard kitchen chair with no cushion and then wondered why his back was giving him trouble. I went to work but not before I sat at the petrol station for an eternity. Our little petrol station in the Hamlet is an attended one so I like it because I can wind down my window. Plus they now know me and just ask if I want it full or not. I do have to walk in and pay but that I can cope with. Well today the attendant who we call "thanks again" wasn't there because he had nipped out to get coffee. He was very apologetic. At work we worked in the Greenhouse which was quite puddly and muddy. We potted on lots of seedlings and had a laugh, chatting about cricket, baseball, basketball, accents and whether you pronounce pecan, PECAAAYYYYN, PECAARRRRN OR PECUN.

Huffle had already had lunch and was just moving off to the loft when I got home. He had boiled me an egg and I sat and watched a bit of Call The Midwife until our water heater people turned up. On Friday, we had a gas bill and found out that we rented our water heater. Bearing in mind we have lived here for five years, this was the first time we noticed it. At the same time MrBasement called me and he answered some questions about how the rental worked and what we should do. Our heater was 25 years old and there was a smell plus rustiness. We called the company and arranged for them to come out and that's what they did today. The took out the old one, replaced it with a new one and replaced any pipes that weren't up to standard. I left Huffle with them when they turned the water off and I did a food shop.

By the time I came home, made a start on dinner and started putting the shopping away, they were all done. Not long after the boys came home. Small had homework, cleaned his bathroom, Smallest cleared and set the table and they both played on their tablets until dinner. Huffle had to eat his in the loft as he had a long late call. Today I made a Roasted Butternut, Apple and Cumin Soup which everyone liked.

This evening we all went off to watch Smallest try out for a new team. 35 minutes drive through horrible traffic and a million traffic lights all on red to a dome with one 3/4 size pitch, split into two. There were about 30 kids trying out for two different age groups. Smallest played for a very short time and was instantly asked his name by the head coach. There were five of us from our old football club which was funny, one who had left before the Winter season, one who left on Saturday, us and one who left today. After about half an hour the parents were called out into the hall and told how much the cost would be, how the sessions and practices worked, took some questions and then told us that he wanted everyone to play here but some he would chose for his elite team and some for development. He had five names written on a piece of paper and Smallest's was one of them. He took us, Angel and her hubby and Old Coach's wife into a room and told us he wanted our boys for the Elite team (four practices and a game a week!!!). He said they were a little under-developed but that wasn't their fault, that was their coach before's fault (this made me laugh because Old Coach's wife was sitting next to me). He said it wouldn't take much to develop them and get them up to speed with his top players. He didn't want any answers right then, he said we could bring the boys to practice any time after next week to see how they felt about the Coach and his way of coaching before we made any decisions. We also want to take Smallest to other try outs to see what is what but it's nice to know they want him.

We got home quite late and Smallest showered and went straight to bed. Small got his snowboarding stuff ready and also went to bed though I think he may have watched TV. Huffle and I watched a bit more of the Painting Challenge.

 

No comments: