Monday 20 February 2017

Liquid Aspirations!

HAPPY FAMILY DAY if you are in Canada, though apparently this does not apply to anyone who works for Federal (not sure what that means but know it applies to our hard-working Post Lady Lenny). If you are not in Canada, then HEY ITS MONDAY and we had a day off here ha!

We all had another lie-in but don't worry it's all back to normal tomorrow. Back to school, back to work. Another beautiful day with bright sunshine and lots of snow meltage. Pancake breakfast. Smallest burnt his arm on the frying pan (not bad) and helped me to flip, Small set the table and Huffle prepared fruit. Yum yum. We didn't eat until after 10am and then Yahoo FaceTimed me so I was excused from clearing the kitchen and went upstairs to have a chat and laugh with my old friend (she's not old of course!). We had plenty to talk about. Another face I needed to see. Wish it could be face to face though and not through a silly screen. (And No! yahoo, I didn't ask him!).

Some tablet time before getting dressed

The rest of the morning we FaceTimed Grandma and Grandad, set up Huffle's new telescope (birthday present from Grandma and Grandad) and left it ready for this evenings night sky viewing after watching a squirrels twinkling eyes from far away through the lens. Unfortunately it was too cloudy when it got dark but Huffle and Smallest did try. Never mind, there will be plenty of clear nights I'm sure.

Some piano, some chopping and a game of GOALIE!

For lunch we sat and watched The Grand Tour, the last one in the series and then we moved outside for some fun. Christmas 2015 Small bought me some SnowShoes from the Thrifty Shop (still $25 bit considerably less than brand new) and I have only used them once in the garden. Today I got them out and had a good walk around the back garden, side and front. The snow in the back is about a foot deep and the shoes really do stop you going down. They take a bit of getting used to and certainly work your legs but they are good. Huffle had a go too while I had a go at Cross Country Skiing. I bought a set from Yoda next door a couple of years ago for just $5 in the garage sale. I had no idea what I was doing but Small told me "don't fall over because it's hard to get back up" and "going uphill you need to go sideways" and he left me to it and played on the trampoline with Smallest. First they had to clear it of a huge pile of snow though. Huffle and I walked, snow shoed and cross countried down the garden and into the bit at the back behind our garden. I made some tracks which helped me to go up and down. I didn't fall over but my legs and knee hurt now. It's hard work!

The boys went in and played on the XBox and Huffle made a start on dinner for him and Small. Smallest and I had our leftover Calzones from yesterday to finish. I left Huffle with the boys and went off to the Garden Club Meeting. Tonight was Seed Swap and a talk from a Master Gardener about planting seeds. Nothing really new but I did pick up a few tips. 1) to check if seeds are viable: place some on a wet kitchen towel and put into a sandwich bag. Keep checking regularly and they will eventually germinate. This will tell you the percentage of viability. 2) when seedlings are about 1" tall or more, gently wiggle your fingers over them, this will promote healthy roots and stems, similar to if they were outside and there was a breeze. I came home with about eight packets of seeds, morning glory, carrots, radish, russet sunflower, lupin, coriander and more. We all have to volunteer to make cakes and coffee for each meeting. I chose to do the next one with Garfunkel. I also got to add two people (members of the same house) to add to my membership. I added Huffle and Grandad. He lives in this house twice a year! It means he can now go to the meetings for free instead of paying $5. Hurrah!

At home I had time for a quick cup of tea and a watch of half of the Great Painting Challenge (BBC). Love it, makes me want to paint again.

 

 

No comments: