Wednesday 15 February 2017

Rusty the car

At some point around Christmas, I got a crack in my windscreen. Don't know where it came from or when but Huffle measured it because I couldn't tell if it was getting bigger or not. At the time of measuring it was 4". Sometime afterwards I noticed it was 7". Then it fit just where the wiper couldn't get to and now it is much larger. Huffle decided to find out where we could get it fixed and a man called round today, from a reputable company, to fix it on our drive at no extra cost. Pah! As soon as he took the old windscreen out, he called me out to "come and look at this". He said I had rust and rust for a car was like cancer. He said it would not be guaranteed unless he fixed the rust but that would cost an extra $60. Once I had had a conversation with Huffle and we agreed we might as well get it done, he then asked if I would pay the $60 by cash. I told him that sounded dodgy and he assured me it wasn't at all it was just that he was doing the work, not the company. When I said I didn't have the cash he asked if I would do an e-transfer directly to him. I told him I was uncomfortable doing that as it sounded wrong. Huffle then phoned the company to ask if this was their policy. They immediately spoke to the man on the phone and he put his head down and got on with the job. From then I passed responsibility to Huffle as I didn't want to deal with him. I wouldn't be surprised if the company just said to him "idiot - you got caught". They probably do this all the time. Anyway I have a windscreen now, with rustproofing and a warranty.

The boys went to school, Small armed with his snowboarding gear ready for ski-club after school. Huffle worked from the kitchen table until I came back and interrupted him and he scootled off to the loft. I went to my second exercise class of the week still suffering from Monday afternoons session OUCH OUCh ouch. I took some flapjack in for them. Very confusing as Flapjack is a pancake here. They all liked it. I can't say I have ever found anyone that doesn't like it!

I had a shower and then Huffle and I had lunch together and watched the other half of the final Sherlock. Oh boy! So glad we don't watch that one at night. I don't think I would ever sleep. So good though.

This afternoon my windscreen man came, I made dinner and didn't do much else really. I am extremely tired, both mentally and physically.

Smallest came home with his report card. Excellent in everything and 1 A+, 2 A's, 6 A-'s, 4 B+'s and 2 B's. Very pleased. My favourite part was "..is a very animated boy whose sense of humour often brings a smile to his teachers and peers........it has been an absolute pleasure getting to know Smallest over the course of the first term and I can't wait to see him continue to grow". It also said that despite him being one of the youngest in his class, he often takes a positive leadership role. So very pleased. Good work Smallest.

Practicing his Ukulele

After dinner I took Smallest to his football practice. I was mad the minute I walked in when I saw that CoachOlDHead was in charge of the session again. As I stood ranting by the sidelines and fuming with the other parents, I made a decision (as discussed earlier between Smallest and myself) to take him off the field. I went to get him but he waved to me to say he was fine and wanted to carry on. I stood upstairs with Angel and helped her daughter to crochet. Much later in the practice I saw MrSchmooze and decided to confront him. I asked him if Smallest could play in the game on Saturday without paying the money they suddenly decided we owed. We had a very heated discussion where he chose to not answer my questions. He went from calm and collected to angry and then sad. At one point I said "oh boo hoo". Basically he said Freddy couldn't play so I told him that was it, we were done with the club. I went to get him at the end and just said "that's it Smallest, you're done here". To which he said I'm going over to MrSchmooze but I won't shake his hand. As I passed MrSchmooze he looked at me and said "is that it then?". Huffle thinks we've called their bluff and I don't think they were expecting it at all. Much much later we got an email from MrSchmooze saying how saddened he was that Smallest didn't high five him and it was obviously something I said to him. In actual fact Smallest said he didn't want to do it and he felt that now he was leaving he didn't have to. Honestly, the way the club has treated the boys, not telling them anything and keeping them in the dark is ridiculous. Anyway, enough ranting.... it's done, Smallest has left the club and we have several other try outs lined up. Small has a game tomorrow there. That should be interesting. I think I'll leave that one to Huffle.

Huffle was supposed to go snowboarding with Small but because my windscreen was newly glued, we didn't want to take the chance of it becoming unglued. The man said I wasn't to go over 100km this evening (has he seen me drive?) or go over any big potholes. Right! So you've seen the roads in this village then! I took Huffle's car and left him to get some peace and quiet by himself.

I dropped Smallest off at home, explained to Huffle what had happened at football and then went and picked Small up from school where the ski club drops them. He had had a great time. He also had his report card. Another excellent report for him with all of his grades being mainly well over the average of his class. He had some lovely remarks too saying that if he carries on the way he is going he will be very successful. Such clever boys. I am so proud of them both.

 

No comments: