Friday 16 September 2011

That's not my old dryer is it?

I would like to tell you the story about my Tumble Dryer (sorry if I am repeating myself over any of this but I need to get it off my chest).

Our tumble dryer started making a big bangy type of noise about 2 weeks ago. I called a firm I found on t'internet, who said they would be out to have a look.

Mr. Doom and Gloom visited, looked at it, insisted it was a problem with the bearings or the drum and would cost between £50 and £80. The call out charge was £20. If I bought a brand new one it could cost about £125ish. If I bought a second hand one from them it would cost £70 free delivery and no call out.

I decided to go for a second hand one (bearing in mind I only need it for a couple of months). Mr. Doom and Gloom (I named him that because he spoke in a maner that inferred he had had a bad life and everyone else was to blame, Canada was a cold country, they sacked you "just like that" etc etc.). Before he went he took a bag full of pears (I said he could) and then started to pick the apples off our tree before I told him to stop.

I had to wait for about four days and then Mr. Twit (so named because he had a really long beard like Mr. Twit from Twits Roald Dahl) came and delivered me a second hand dryer that didn't heat up!? And smelt badly of cats. I rang and asked them to take it away and either bring me another that did work or give me my money back. They took it away and said they would ring. The didn't.

I rang them again a few days later and they said I could have a different one as the one they bought me had broken! (really?!)

Anyway, Mr. Doom and Gloom has just been and bought me my other second dryer. I looked at it and said "you wouldn't have bought me my original broken one back would you?". He laughed as only a man of gloominess could, and said "it's a very popular model" I looked inside, pulled out the fluff collector and could tell instantly that it ws mine (sad aren't I?).

He laughed gloomily again and said well look at it this way............... Blah blah. Basically my old one was repaired and I now have 3 months guarantee on the whole machine, whereas if they had fixed it in the first place I would have only had the part guaranteed but can you believe the cheek of the company.

I shall name and shame this company because although I have come off okay, he did originally tell me my machine would be dumped as it wasn't worth fixing and selling on.

D.R. ELECTRICAL

I asked him if he thought this was dodgy and he said no. He then proceeded to ask if he could take a few apples off the tree. I told him no- he could pick a few off the floor if he must but that I would watch him.



He said gloomily "don't you trust me?"

WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU DODGY GLOOMY LITTLE APPLE PINCHING MAN


There I feel better for that rant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sam this is what I love about you; you make me laugh out really loud xx Sorry about your buyers I'm sure it will soon be snapped up! C x

Corinne said...

Sam that last comment was from me - Corinne, not sure why it says anonymous??