Wednesday 20 June 2012

Chipmunks vs Moo

Moo had to sleep in the library (Library is probably a grand word for a small room with two bookshelves, but that is what we call it, it is in fact the room below the loft). She slept like a princess on a double height air bed (we didn't hide a pea under there though, or did we?).

The boys went off to school. Moo and I had a peaceful breakfast, showered and then went on an expedition. Today we tried to sort out the downpipe, water butt and BBQ cover, plus some food to BBQ over the next week or so. We found some BBQ covers but the measurements didn't seem to fit the BBQ's. We got an assistant to look at them and in the end she tried one on and it fit, so we bought it. Now the BBQ can sit in the garden with his rain coat on. Next we looked at water butts. OMG they are so expensive here. We're talking between $80 - $100's. We didn't get one. Which meant it wasn't really worth getting the down pipes either!

Next on the list was coffee and a little something in a nice cafe.

They had a sock monkey at the cash desk and a picture on the wall.

We went to a new cafe called Red Bulb. Very nice. A lot of coffee places here give you drinks in polystyrene or paper cups, I don't like that but here we got a proper cup and a lovely slice of Blueberry Lemon Tea loaf. Ummm ummmmmmmm! We met two ladies who told us lots of places to visit including a place round the corner that sold consignment goods. We didn't know what this was so I will tell you. People moving house or redecorating in a new scheme give their furniture to be sold. It is only kept in there for 90 days. Everything has a ticket. Each ticket has four prices. The original price and then three other prices with different dates. Each date has a lower price and then after the lower price date it is put on 50% sale.

I saw a table I liked which was now priced at $38, but it had 50% off so I got an antique table with two drawers for $19. BARGAIN. I also bought a footstool (or poof as we call them) a leather one - this wasn't reduced or in the sale but I really liked it and I have been looking for one for ages. I was impulsive because I knew I would regret it if I didn't get it there and then. I found an easy chair that was really comfy and I loved it but it was a soft pink and would have clashed badly with the blinds in the lounge. Shame! If it had been really really cheap, I could have justified maybe getting it recovered!

We went to a supermarket and bought some food and headed home to get it away before it melted.

Moo and I had lunch on the porch and attempted to Skype LizzieDotDot but next door had the lawn people round again and it was too noisy to hear her. We visited the man across the road (not Don NoQuotey) to ask him about his pool and who opens it etc. He gave us a company name and told us how much it cost! A lot! But he said it was worth it to get it done properly, because if you break it or do something wrong it costs so much more to put it right and if they do something wrong obviously they put it right free of charge. Need to run that one by Huffle first! However, if Huffle was here in the day, he would know how hot it was and if he had the children here, he would know how hard it is to keep them cool!

We tried to sunbathe but it was too hot to sit in. It was 34* but in the 40's with humidity! Too hot! Very uncomfortable. Even in the shade it was too humid! We put some more seed in the bird feeders but added more thistles to the hanger. We also put up the new Niger seed and bird feeder, hopefully this will attract the yellow Finches, they are gorgeous.

When the boys got home they played in the hot tub and got sprayed with the hose. We joined them for a while. Huffle was playing baseball (he got 2 points getting round twice and no injuries which he was happy with) - he wrote that bit himself!!!, so Moo and I and the boys had dinner together.

There's that English Lady soaking her delicate feet
Shower me please!
They were playing volley ball!

We watched the chipmunk climb onto the Squirrel Stumper bird feeder, so I hung a load of 'sticky Willy' or catchweed (this plant has a lot of different names - I looked them up!) over the top so it looked like long hair and it stopped him climbing on it (for now). Then we watched him jump onto the one we 'thistled', so Moo hung a load of 'sticky willy' on that one too. That also stopped him. We will be sitting out here this evening instead of the porch to watch the activity and see what he does. Pesky things!

"where shall I put this thistle Mummy?"
How about here?

As I sat here writing this, sitting in the shade (monitoring the chipmunk activity), the boys were playing with their Nerf Guns and Smallest shot me, on the arm and it stuck there! I got a free shot of his bottom (well two because I missed the first one).

My lovely red geranium on the barn with the bird feeders in the background

Small's anemone

I have just had the new schedule for Smallest for his next school year. After the summer Hols he will have different teacher (he likes her but she seems more stern, might be a good thing!). He will also do Tuesdays, Thursday and alternate Fridays which is annoying. Won't be able to do our library session unless we go to another one somewhere else.

Huffle came home after playing baseball in the heat! Phew. not my idea of fun! He likes my table and poof,not talked to him yet about the pool company!

Chipmunks have infiltrated both feeders now, Moo and I are watching and waiting and trying to find new ideas!

Moo and Small trying to think of what they could do next - he wanted to shoot them with his Nerf gun

P.s. We have now greased the pole the feeder hangs from and are watching to see what he does. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeweeeee

 

Chipmunk watch

No comments: