Tuesday 26 June 2012

Tie them up and throw out the rubbish!

I went off to work this morning leaving Moo and Smallest about to have breakfast and Small going off for the school bus.

Today we tended the vegetable garden, the alpine garden and the tomato beds. There was lots of tying up, tidying up and picking of peas, arugula wasabi (ummm very nice but hot tasting rocket - I came away with a bag full). We watched the owner prune back a lovely weeping purple beech. He disappeared under it as it was too low to the ground to get at it normally.

 

It was fascinating to watch. He just snip snipped here and there and made it look amazing. There were loads of cyclamen seedlings just appearing. Oh good, I love them, hope I can grow them too!

I learnt that I should have sown my broad beans in March as they hate the baking hot sun and that runner Beans here are called Scarlet Runners and are primarily grown for their flowers! Anyone that grows them to eat them (apparently not a well known thing here) get their seeds from England. Lettuce can be sown again in August. I came home with my bag of arugula! Some lovage which I will make into pesto and some oxygenating weed for the goldfish (who still hasn't had any food as Small's friend's mum has not brought any round - will have to buy some tomorrow now that I know it is a goldfish!).

I came home because I was hungry and Moo, Smallest and I had lunch together. They had played lots of games and were in the middle of hungry frogs when I arrived. After lunch I went shopping on my own, yes on my own, what a joy. Well it wasn't but a least I got it done quickly.

After I got home and put all the shopping away, Moo planted some more runner beans and I planted some courgettes. We decided to pop round to The Royals to find out if we were walking tomorrow. Drew was there and we stood talking to her and Mr and Mrs Royal for ages. Small came home on the bus and the driver saw us and dropped him off at their house (normally I have to run after the bus shouting Small, smallest, I'm here! behind you! We stayed for a cup of tea and a biscuit.

Moo taking the rubbish away.

Drew, Mrs Royal and Mr Royal

Moo found some more rubbish

Fighting boys!

It's Ribena, not wine!
We outstayed our welcome as usual and came home. The boys played football with Moo and then came and helped me make pizza. Huffle came home early so we got to eat together outside.

Small told me it was his class party tomorrow and could he make cookies! I never get any notice. I told him he could make flapjack and I told him what to do.

We all played football. There was a lot of tackling and diving and cheating (moo!!!!!). I went in and made Blueberry scones for the teachers. They didn't rise much, not sure whether I put too many blueberries in. Moo will test them later and see what she thinks.

I rang Mrs Burlington Bertie to see if we could change our plans for Saturday. Originally Huffle and Mr BB were going to the Baseball (they still are) and Mrs BB, Muffin, me and the boys and Moo were going to the beach and for a picnic. However, on Saturday in our local town, it is the strawberry festival and it is supposed to be really good. So that is what we are doing instead! Apparently there is a big tent filled with strawberries and cream - I might be exaggerating a bit!!! Ummmmmmmmm.







 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Put me down for the strawberry tent. Yum yum. Does Canada have more festivals etc? there seems to be something on most weeks, nice. X