Thursday 5 January 2017

The pickle factory

Huffle and I went on our second daytime date today, leaving home about 11am ish and not coming home until after 3pm. We could get used to this. We left Moo and the boys at home playing on the XBox, sorting out clothes, washing, playing games etc. I don't think they even noticed we were gone.

We went to various shops and did errands. Taking things back, exchanging stuff, buying new things and then we went off for lunch. Today we tried a new place, attached to the College. It is a new teaching inspired restaurant and has a huge expanse of ground where they grow their own vegetables (obviously not this time of year because there is snow on the ground). They have their own orchard too plus greenhouses and herb gardens. They use locally sourced meat, beer and wine too. Plus they have a 'pantry' where students make products from the produce sell. The students from the college look after the garden and help in the kitchens. It's a really clever place and I would like to go back in the summer so we can see the garden in use. Our waitress said she picked herbs and berries for the drinks on her way in. It was delicious and I had a Mannicotti and a chocolate pot. Huffle had Pork and Apple and Red Cabbage with Corn Bread and French Onion Soup and a Rhubarb and Apple Tart with a WinterBerry Sauce.

Earlier today Moo and I made some Lemon Curd (one for here and one for Moo to take home) and we started a Beetroot Chutney until I realised we had no apples or cranberries (I use cranberries instead of raisin because I don't like them). While Huffle and I were out we picked up supplies and Moo and I carried on with the Chutney and made five jars (some will go in the cold room as they last for twelve months, I will eat some and Moo will take some home).

Huffle went into the basement while the boys were playing XBox and sorted all our Snowboard and ski stuff out. Everyone's boots have been tried on and helmets and goggles checked and then he checked all bindings were secure and the correct way and all boards were the correct size. Tomorrow we are planning on going to the local resort. Moo is a little apprehensive as she hasn't done it for two years but I know she will be off and up the lifts and down the terrain park within a matter of minutes. I am extremely apprehensive and don't want to leave the nursery slope as I too haven't boarded for two years and last time I fell a lot, hit my head a lot and fell off the lifts at the top (I cannot master the art of being on a lift with my board attached to one foot only. Whenever we boarded in Europe, they let you carry your board). The boys are excited and Small starts Ski Club at school next week so it will be nice for him to area good run before then.

The boys and Moo had dinner (tonight we created a cheese tart with the beetroot Chutney on the bottom. Smallest and Moo liked it but Small didn't like the sweetness with the cheese - Mr Fussy - I got the idea from my new pickling book (thank you Grandma and Grandad).

After dinner we all played WIzard again (Smallest's new card game). This time I won. I would like to say I knew what I was doing now but I'm not sure I do. Very good game though. The boys watched TV before bed.

This evening we should have been able to see the Northern Lights but we couldn't. It was a clear cold night though. Shame, I'd like to see them.

 

No comments: