Monday 13 July 2015

Jammy Tyres

The boys had a very late night last night so I warned them not to get up too early. In fact I said "not before 8 O'clock" (that's reasonable isn't it?), in the hope that they might try and get back to sleep instead of just sitting in their rooms watching the clock. Smallest got up at 8am after having an extra five minutes sleep when he awoke at 7am and then read For nearly an hour. Small got up at 8:20 - he did get back to sleep. Huffle got up to work and I tried to snooze but Huffle woke me to take my car to the garage. BOOOOOO.

Smallest and I drove to the garage, before breakfast and coffee!!!, dropped the car off and walked home. It was very hot. We had breakfast and the boys went up to the pool. Smallest to swim and Small to sit there accompanying him and being grumpy because he was tired. He refused to go in the pool and got even grumpier when he got a little bit wet.

I tidied and then joined them. I played Guess Who with Small until he beat beat 5-2 and then I went in the pool. We swam and played catch and then when I decided I just wanted to read, Small went in to play on his tablet. Smallest and I played Guess Who until he beat me 5-0 and we swam for a bit before he too left me for his tablet. Poor Mummy. I had a quick read and a texting session with Yahoo (she can still make me laugh through the power of texts) and then went inside to get dry and changed.

We all had lunch, Huffle and I on the porch and the kids in front of the TV. Small's friend came to play for a couple of hours and Smallest joined them on the trampoline for a while before I dragged him off to pick my car up. Smallest biked and I walked. SOOOO HOT! When we got to the garage Smallest turned around with strict instructions to stay on the path, look both ways at roads he needed to cross and go straight home and I went in to pay. I was originally quoted $164 plus labour for new tyres as my old ones were practically worn thin. When the bill came to over $800 I was shocked. What an idiot. I thought the tyres would cost $164 for the four not each one. ha ha, why am I not blonde? I drove home and saw Smallest half way home already. He looked very warm so when I got back I grabbed my bike and went to meet him but he was almost home. Clever sausage.

Huffle was in the midst of making Raspberry Jam but was one cup short of jam, despite the fact Smallest and I popped to the local shop to pick some up first thing, so I dashed to MrsRoyals and borrowed a cup of sugar from her. It's funny, in films people are always borrowing a cup of sugar. Now we are here on the other side of the ocean using Cups properly as measurements (which is much better, I have to say, than proper measuring), it's makes perfect sense why you would borrow a cup of sugar and not the end of bag!

I helped Huffle with his jam making - it got hotter standing over that boiling mixture. We ended up with thirteen jars and two little ramekins (which I sieved because I wanted jelly jam - no pips, one for me and one for MrsRoyal).

Rolling Boil, blobs of jam (c/o Huffle), many jars of raspberry jam

Poor MrsRoyal wasn't very happy today as she had asked for a new carpet and her whole floor was being ripped out due to a construction problem. I told her everything would be alright but she said it wouldn't. I told her "it will be different but that's okay" because that seems to be my mantra at the moment.

The boys carried on with their tablets after Small's friend went home and then we went back up to the pool. It was still very hot and the water was very cooling. We had to fill it up this morning, I don't know whether it has a leak or we 'wave' and 'jump' too much water out but it certainly makes it much cooler when we add water from the hose. The boys and I played for a while in and out of the water (Smallest beat me again at Guess Who) and Huffle came in briefly to cool off and then it was time to get dinner.

As we are on holiday next week, we are trying to clear out stuff from the fridge and freezer and 'make do', so dinner was a quick pasta bolognese outside. The boys played cricket while I mowed and then we all went back in the pool until the kids bedtime. It honestly feels like we are on holiday now (except poor Huffle has to work).

P.s. My phone has been charging all afternoon and I couldn't be bothered to get it so NO PHOTOS after the jam making.

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Where u off to? No Moo this summer? She's usually with you by now x.