Tuesday 7 July 2015

Sorry Sir!

Today the boys and I got up early (earlier than the one worker in the house - say no more!) and drove to work (nursery) where MrsM then took us to Toronto. She did a talk for the Toronto Botanical Gardens on the rooftop of the Royal York and because the PanAm games are being hosted here in Toronto this year, all of the major roads have had an HOV (higher occupancy vehicle) lane added. Some of the roads already have an HOV lane but it has now changed from 2+ occupancy to 3+. This puts an incredible delay on journeys to Toronto so I offered to go with her (and the boys) so she could use the HOV lanes. Well, it all worked fabulously as we got in and out much quicker than normal. In fact we waved royally as we passed the throngs of single driver cars and tried to look just a little bit smug. (Very naughty).

We got to The Royal York early so MrsM took us down to the Deli and bought us drinks plus a pastry for Small. While we were on there we met a few of her party and she introduced me as her 'English Gardener'. Ummmmmmm I like that title.

New Station Sign, Bell Boys,

We left MrsM and made our way to the harbour. We had no clear idea of what we were going to do but on the way, Small asked if we could go to Centre Island. Why not? So we got on the ferry and sailed across to the islands. The ferry wasn't very full so we were soon off and on the island.

Waiting for the Ferry and on the Ferry

The Beach sounded like a good place to start our tour but on the way we found a maze. No-one else was in it so we all went our separate ways. Small, of course, got right to the middle without too much trouble but I wandered round and round getting nowhere and Smallest got lost. Small guided me towards the centre when he spied me through the trees and then we tried to find Smallest but by then a load of kids had come in and there was so much noise and kerfuffle that we couldn't see or hear him. I have to admit I did panic a little but he found us and we got back to the middle and then out again. It was a maze made out of Cedar trees which weren't too tall and full. Give it a couple of years and no-one will see above or round the trees and it will be much better (if you keep your kids by your side ha!). On the way out a small boy bumped into Smallest and said 'oh sorry sir' - the kids and I found that very funny. At the beach, the water was lovely and warm. We paddled for a while (Smallest almost swam despite the fact he didn't have swimming shorts on), and went on the swings and sat in the shade of a tree.

Centre Island maze and beach
A bit of beach and the gardens

We wandered through the gardens and fountains playing Tic (is it tic or tig? I tend to call it tic but always say tig!). The kids wanted to go through Centreville (the little theme park) so we poddled through, not buying tickets for rides even though the kids wanted to try and get on for free. We watched a couple of the rides and then walked back towards the ferry - we had been there for about 2 hours.

Centreville Farm Park
We named the Zebu (in a competition) Frank Jr.
Ferry

Back on the ferry to Downtown Toronto and to our favourite Gelato shop, stopping first to get a baguette and a tub of Cream Chees (for a lunch later). Our ice creams were eaten on the side of the harbour watching a couple of groups of Kids Camps playing on the wave bridge. The boys made me run down the bridge, jump on a bench and do a wiggly arm thing. Walking through the busy streets and trying to hold hands with the kids was difficult. Smallest will always hold my hand (I think he likes to know I am there when it's busy) and up until today, Small did too but Small has now decided he is too old to hold my hand. I faked a sad cry and he said "it's alright Mummy (he still calls me mummy though) you still have Smallest but I'm getting older now". Oh my god, my baby, where's my baby gone?. Then to top it all I posted some pictures on Facebook and a couple of comments came back saying how grown up he was looking. (Sad, grumpy face!!!).

Ice creams and Buildings
On the wave bridge

It started to look a little dark (there was a storm brewing) so we walked slowly back to the Royal York where we were meeting MrsM at 2:15pm. Huge big blobs of rain started to fall and a big crash of thunder and a flash of lightning. I want to photograph the CN Tower in lightning as it is a lightning conductor and it would look amazing but I had to think of the kids and my own safety, so I rushed them inside the hotel. MrsM was just getting in her car (perfect timing) and we drove home. A very easy drive home along the HOV lanes again and we were home by 3:15pm.

The kids and I ate our baguettes in front of the TV. We walked quite a lot and it was very humid and we were tired too. I FaceTimed Moo and we had a bit of a chat. This week I have really missed having her here. This is the first Summer she hasn't visited and this is the first Summer I have been on my own with the kids for ten weeks (okay so it's only week 2) since we moved here. Moo has just moved house so she is spending her first Summer there getting settled. I can't believe how much harder work it is without her here. The boys want me to be with them and play with them, go in the pool etc but I also have to make dinner, clean and tidy and keep gardening. Also if I was in England they would have their old friends to see and visit, we would have family close by and days out with friends. It's tough but it's just different (that's what Huffle keeps telling me).

Huffle had mowed the grass before it rained and now everything looks VERY GREEN and lush

Huffle and Small went to football and the team won 12-8. Small did very well and Huffle got a bit overexcited. I will let him recount his story. Huffle edit - Smalls team were leading nicely in the first half when there was a goalmouth scramble. Their goalie fumbled it badly and Smalls team poked home another goal. Their manager decided to have a go at the ref, saying it was dangerous. I couldn't have that rubbish, so I told him he was wrong as the goalie didn't have control of the ball and that he clearly watched too much hockey and didn't know the rules of the game. There may have been a few other words in that sentence but apparently this is a family show. My cheering got louder for each 'home' goal and the match was very enjoyable. Small put in his trademark challenges and long balls over the top to good effect.

C'mon REDS! Smallest and I stayed at home and watched a bit of Monsters Inc.

 

 

 

1 comment:

Corinne said...

Your lucky Small has only just stopped holding your hand - Ben stopped ages ago... In fact I can't remember the last time he held my hand. He still calls me Mummy though (unless his friends are around) although Mads doesn't - it's 'Mum' and I hate it. Sad that Moo's not coming to spend the summer with you but make the most of your time with the boys - look how quickly time has passed. It only seems like yesterday we were standing outside the florist in Kibworth with 'Buns in the Oven' and we were discussing whether we thought we were having a boy or a girl!! And now I have one going to Senior School and one in Year 4 - how is that possible??

Come and visit 😂 we could be walking and putting the world to rights... Oh and laughing a lot!!!!!

Love Corinne xxx