Monday 20 February 2012

Daddy strikes back

Huffle has caught his second mouse. We set two traps a couple of days ago, one with a gummy bear and one with a valentine chocolate. Would the mouse be tempted by the gumminess of the little bear or would romance beckon him? He was caught whilst trying to eat the chocolate. What a romantic!

Grandma skyped us this morning to say that Uncle Dermott had a setback and had to have the operation again. Then she Skyped us later on and told us that he had already had the 2nd operation. We've also had another update to say that he is as good as can be expected at this time. Good Luck, we hope it works out better this time.

We asked the boys what they wanted to do today, as it is Family Day here, and the boys are off school and Huffle is off work. Yesterday they decided they wanted to go to the cinema to see Star Wars Phantom Menace 3D. However, whilst we were shopping yesterday Small found Star Wars I, II & III on Blue Ray for the same cost as all of us going to the cinema to see one film. Anyone who knows Huffle has to realise that this is a good offer. He doesn't have to endure people sitting next to him, munching popcorn, coughing, sneezing. He doesn't have to take two young boys to the toilet in the middle of the film and he doesn't have to pay the extortionate price of cinema food. So we bought them and we are staying at home today. A proper family day in.

Since we have moved here (3 months, can you believe it?) we seem to think we have to go out and explore new places and do new things. Sometimes I think we forget that we actually live here now. This is our life now. When I Skype people back in the UK and ask what they are doing, the answer is normally, not much, just everyday stuff. Whereas when people ask us, either I think they expect us to be doing something exciting or they are expecting us to be doing something different or exciting. It's different when we have visitors obviously, we want to show them around and they want to see what there is, but I think I need to stop worrying about what I think people expect and just get on with life. I guess there is going to come a point when I write this blog one day and say "hey I did nothing today".

Moo skyped us this morning and we sang Happy Birthday to her, even though we were 3 days late (she's never online!!).

Anyway, we made some toffee popcorn (using maple syrup, very handy), put our chairs in the correct place (which just happened to be our bedroom) and settled down to watch the movie.
The boys giggling whilst watching the corn popping
Toffee popcorn

The boys got the expensive seats (our bed) with a pot of sweets and popcorn and a drink each. Huffle got the rocker and cushion with his pot of sweets and popcorn. I got the other rocker and footstool, popcorn, cup of tea and my knitting. (the knitting was so that I didn't say at the end "well That's two and a half hours of my life I'll never get back).
Star Wars
Two expensive seats and a cheap seat

When the movie was over there was a round of applause. Small went in the shower and Smallest in the bath. Huffle went on the computer and I made dinner. We had a Roast Chicken Dinner (I had a veg pie from St Lawrence Market - yum) and we had RooPooGruffalo Pie for Pud. Very Nice!

The boys haven't behaved particularly well the last couple of weeks and we have given them many warnings about not going to Disney if they don't improve. We tried charts, banning computers etc but nothing seems to work, and Huffle and I are desperate to go.

So in a last ditch attempt we have reintroduced the Marble Jars (thanks LizzieDotDot for reminding me). For those that don't know, they have a jar each and we put marbles in for good behaviour, helpfulness, kindness, doing as told etc. However, if they are bad, or don't do as they are told, then a marble gets taken away. They have been told they have five marbles a day to get in order to go to Disney. We are still going to Huffle's cousins house in Florida, but will they be good enough to earn the right to go to Disney? Oh I do hope so! It's going well so far.

In the post today...........................

A package from the Rumbleskins in Oz. Oh Thank you so much. I have played the CD of Gotye already and love it. The boys are very happy with the Caramel Koalas - we've not seen those before. We will let you know what we think. I'll have to see what is typical Canadian chocolate and send you some to try.

On the subject of chocolate, I have decided to give it up for a while as my dear friend LizzieDotDot has done the same and lost pounds! That's it. I started yesterday but didn't weigh myself but I will know from my jeans. (I did just eat pie and custard though!)

Oh No! Small has just bought us a game to play. Not Monopoly Deal! Not Disney Monopoly! But Leicestershire Monopoly - Oh Good, not played that one for ages. He won!

Just had word from Aunt Pear that HB went to school today and managed without falling asleep although she spent all of yesterday not knowing what day it is. Can that be put down to Jet Lag or just being a teenager. Hope you get back to UK time soon HB.

Many thanks again to the Blogsy team who helped me so much yesterday. ***** five stars for the service I received from their CEO Lance.



5 comments:

Sarah Tomson said...

Your home cinema experience sounds fantastic and a bargain! We ventured to the highcross cinema to see the muppets and took our own goodies for the girls we only had a diet Pepsi and it cost £3.10!

What's RooPooGruffalo pie?

Hope the boys manage to keep collecting their Marbles - wouldn't think they will want to miss out on Disney !

X

famfa said...

Roopoogruffalo pie is rhubarb and strawberry pie - ummmmmm

hayleysg said...

More monopoly! Just want you need ;)
Hope all goes well this week
Still suffering, went to school with my clothes inside out. Nightmare, shall tell you when I recover ;)
HB xxxx

famfa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
famfa said...

Yes more monopoly. We are loving it!!!!!!!
Clothes inside out? Oh dear. Please do tell us when you are back to normal (if you ever were!)