Saturday 25 February 2012

Gifts, Gator and a Grumpy Hairdresser

Last night Huffle and I went through all the clothes and finally decided what we were taking on holiday (vacation). I know I had all week to do it but as is the tradition in this house before holidays we like to leave it till the last minute and rush around like headless chickens.

This morning we decided to celebrate Huffle's birthday because we are travelling tomorrow and won't have time for presents and cards. We sang to Huffle while making breakfast. The boys thrust their presents at him quicker than he could open them.

They had made him lovely posters to say Happy Birthday, both very different, both very artistic. He was very pleased.

Some of the presents he had were, sweets and chocolates, some Canadian and some British (ahhh more comparisons). A fiat car (not to drive just to look at and to remind him of our Italian trips). Hair clippers, oh and he got some Liquorice Allsorts from Harrison Ford.

Yesterday I bought him a tree face from the boys to put it on one of our trees and when I sent him to Dollarama to reclaim my lost items he picked up, and bought, a tree face and two other items I also bought that day. It's nice to know we are still so in tune with other. So now he has two tree faces. The funny thing is the one he bought was the one I first picked up but I put it back because I thought a more subtle one would be better.

He also got a Canadian Drinking Glass, Cinamon spread, mushy peas (of course), some pasta, some of Britains finest John Lewis Boxers, some sweeteners and a stud finder. I thought he already was one! (I read this out loud to him and he said "don't write that it makes me sound like a wufter" sorry Huffle are you from the 1970's show Are you being Served? Actually a story from Huffle's trip to Philadelphia that I forgot. A very 'flamboyant' man there said "oh I love keeping up appearances and what's that one called in the department store - oh yes Are you being served! I love that one". Whenever people realise we are British they have to tell us which English shows they watch. One asked me about Benny Hill!!!????

What a lot of loveliness. I also owe him a fire pit.

He put his new solar lights out.

I told him they were wonky!

Grandma skyped us with a wonderful rendition of Happy birthday (well, I say wonderful, what I meant was, as only Grandma could!!!!!) with guest appearances from Grandad, Cousin E and Cousin D. We have had several telephone calls from Mr Gator keeping us up to date with how his Dad, uncle Dermott is doing. He had to have another tricky op today which went well and was successful. It's still early days but we wish him a really speedy recovery. Mr Gator also warned us not to let the boys (Smallest especially) to go too close to the Alligator that lives in their back garden...............more about him tomorrow and the rest of the week.

I took this photo when the train came past for Moo because all the time she was here she tried to take a photo of the front train as it said Canadian something or other. It was the best I could do Moo. We skyped Moo and she sang Happy Birthday.

Small had a Skype call from his friend Miss K. They are so funny talking to each other. There are so many silences, where I have to ask a question to keep the conversation going. She asked how many friends he had now and he said about ten. I said that of course none of them were as nice as her. She laughed and Small kind of nodded!!! She told us how some of Small's old school friends were going to meet the Queen and Princess Kate. How exciting, I know Everett's son is going too. You wait till I tell my new Canadian friends that some people I know are meeting the Royal Family. Ooooh they will be sooo jealous. They love the royals here.

We all got into the car. We had a fair bit of snow but the wind was blowing really hard. It was making it really blizzardy across the road.

Oh well. Fun in the sun tomorrow. Yaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy? ClownRose just rang and said her friend was in Florida at the moment and it is really hot. Woohoooo. Come on purple legs..........

Small and I went to get his haircut today. This is the conversation the hairdresser and I had..........

Hairdresser: "what would you like"

Me : "Just a good trim all over but not shaved". She got the clippers out. "oh you are going to shave it!"

Hairdresser: "it's not shaving it's 1/2 inch all over"

Me: "Oh no! I don't want that" So she got another attachment

Hairdresser "what about 3/4 inch all over?"

Me: "not really happy no"

Hairdresser : "would you like me to cut it with scissors?"

Me: "yes i would thank you"

Then she started saying to Small. "When you come back in the summer you can have it shaved then to keep you cool" I thought No he can't excuse me, I'm his Mother and I'll decide what he will have, not you! When she finished cutting she said "maybe when you're a bit older you can choose your own haircut!" cheeky mare. She asked how old he was and when he said eight she said "oh you've some time yet then!" I said "Yes I think I am entitled to choose for him for a few years yet!!!!" Well I'm not sure if I will be taking him back there. Not sure about the attitude! The only good thing about this place is you don't get the same person each time!

We bought sweets for the plane whilst Smallest and Huffle went off to get some Amercian Dollars. Then we all met up, got dinner and came home.

We packed our suitcases. The boys cleared the basement of all toys, played, fought and generally got on each others nerves. I cut Huffle's hair so he can have a nice tan on his head, he he he he. I did use the clippers (birthday ones thank you Moo) on his hair because that is what he wanted and that is how he always has his hair NOT BECAUSE SOME JUMPED UP HAIRDRESSER DECIDED THAT WAS WHAT HE SHOULD HAVE!, there, feel better now!

This evening before bed, we counted the marbles in the jar! Small had earned exactly the right amount and earned the right to go to Disney as long as he doesn't lose any before bed and in the morning. Smallest, however was about six short. For a slight moment Smallest nearly burst into tears, then he sprung into action and started 'doing'. Cleared the table. Put his clothes away. I asked Small if he would be willing to give Smallest a marble should he get any extras and he said no. I said I was disappointed that he didn't want to help his younger brother so that could all go as a family! He earnt himself a spare one and I put it in his jar and then he said "actually he can have it". With that act of kindness I gave Small's marble to Smallest and then gave Small another marble for being thoughtful. Are you still following this? So with only one marble now to get, they are both in bed being read a story. Small just said that he gave Smallest a hint on how to get an extra marble in the morning. Oh Please try little Smallest, try really hard, this is your last chance. If I don't get to see my favourite Winnie the Pooh, I will cry.

Right. Bags are packed. Toes about to be painted a lovely blue that Alligators don't like. All bathed or showered. Ready to go. See you in Florida.

 

P.s. it was suggested that I took some time off from writing this blog whilst on holiday, but you know me, I don't think I can do that. I may not write everyday though. I will see. Maybe I won't write at all. Maybe I will write a bit or a lot. Who knows. But one thing I will do is, I will definitely get a photo of the Gator and Winnie the Pooh, possibly not in the same photo.

 

 

 

4 comments:

Sarah Tomson said...

Happy birthday Huffle!

So hoping smallest earned his last marble I nearly cried when I was reading this!

Have a fab holiday - watch out for the alligators

X

marins said...

say happy birthday to huffle for us have a wonderfull holiday all of you wish i was going again take a photo of goofy for me i love him we will have to talk on skype when you get back takecare x x x

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful time!

Hairdresser sounds scary!

Everett Xxx

famfa said...

Sarah - don't worry he got his marble x
Marins - is this marina? Will definitely take photo of goofy for you x
Everett - she was scary x