Friday 24 February 2012

Tomato Thumb!

We didn't have as much snow as was originally expected but I did see Huffle clearing the car furiously and the drive had a good covering. The morning started off reasonably well. The boys did as they were told and were exceptionally helpful. Could this be because we had a chat last night and I told them that if they didn't earn enough Marbles for Disney then the alternative would be shopping with me day after day after day in the big Malls. Oh they were pleased!!!!!!

The bus appeared so that was good, although the boys couldn't get through the back gate of our house because a part had fallen off and the wind had jammed it shut so they had to parade through the house with their snow paraphernalia on (not normally allowed but time was limited). Then of course, because it is 'Trash Day' I had to go backwards and forwards collecting the bags and compost bin. Got some mopping to do later!

I actually got to read my book at breakfast. Not a huge amount, but managed 15 pages (half a chapter) - I'll take that!

This morning I went off to a Mall near Huffle's work to try and find him some Birthday Presents. I am buying him a Fire Pit but we haven't found the right one yet. So in the meantime I had to find something for him to open. The reason I was going near his work is because his secretary, Cleopatra, set up a Surprise Lunch for him today (I'm not really sure how he feels about surprises, married 11.5 years and I don't know if he likes surprises!). Anyway, he thinks he is going to lunch with just his Cleopatra but all the people who directly report to him were invited and me, however the people who directly report to him didn't know I was going. His secretary said "oh a double surprise!". (cringe).

Well I found the Mall and it's a good one (so all you visitors will get to go there). I picked up a few things for Huffle and a couple of Christmas presents (I know it's only February but I like to be organised). Then I drove 15 minutes across town to a restaurant called Frankie Tomattos. All you can eat Italian Feast.

It had the most bizarre thing attached to the outside of it.

I sat in my car awaiting the message to say I could go in. I got the message and walked in. Huffle was sitting at a table with his Cleopatra and about eight others. His secretary shouted surprise, your wife is here. I got introduced to everyone and I am supposed to rename them all here (as is the tradition on this blog) but for now I will just call them the 'colleagues'. They were all very nice and welcoming and curious about all sorts.

The place was an Italian Buffet and we all wandered around picking up things we wanted to eat. There was a huge array of food. Pasta, pizza, gnocchi, meats, fish, salads, vegetables, everything. It was really nice too.

Some of the colleagues

Most people got up for seconds and then some people arrived at our table with a hat, a tomato shaped balloon and a board with a painting of Frankie Tommato on it. They placed a cake with a candle and a chocolate in the shape of the Leaning Tower of Pisa in front of Huffle, placed the Tomato balloon on his thumb and the hat on his head and started singing. It was hilarious. Huffle, being Huffle, played along with it of course.

His birthday cake and chocolate
Tomato Thumb

When it came to the desserts there were little tiramisu cakes, red velvet cupcakes, ice creams with sprinkles, pastries, fruit, all sorts. Ummmm ummmm.

I would like to mention that this bowl belongs to an adult. A professional. Someone responsible for other people. Also she had a meeting that afternoon. Waahaaayyyyyyyyyyyy.

 

When we finished the meal and took lots of photos (as evidence) Huffle had to spin a wheel to claim his 'prize'.

......and he won......

 

...................A pack of spaghetti. How funny. He thought they were going to pour cooked spaghetti on his head. That might have been funnier!

We had a fun time and are definately going to take the kids there..... Maybe we will take our visitors there too.... Maybe we will pretend it is their birthdays when we go and make them have the silly hats and tomatoes etc. now that would be funny. BEWARE ALL YOU WHO VISIT FROM NOW ON..

On the way home I followed a snow plough for ages. It kept chucking snow at the car and depositing grit and salt all over the place!

 

I popped into Dollarama because a birthday isn't a birthday without a Dollarama present or two. I filled my basket with 'loveliness', drove home, skyped Moo who showed me that she had FINALLY sewed up the cardi I knitted for her and she was wearing it. Lovely. Apparently I have put the button hole on the wrong side so it is now a man's cardi. I don't think anyone will think it is a man's cardi (even if the the button will be on the wrong side). Actually I have lost the button. Whoops so it is buttonless at the moment.

Doesn't she look pleased!

Then, while I waited for the school bus to arrive I cleared the snow off the drive. Hard work. Although it was wet and slushy it was tough going. When the boys got off the bus, Smallest picked up a shovel for approx two minutes and then ran inside and I didn't see him for ages. Small stood around looking useful but doing nothing till I threatened to take a marble away. Then he helped me.

The boys played together nicely and then not nicely for a while as dinner was being made. They ate dinner later than normal and were "starving"!

I looked through my purchases and realised I was missing a bag from Dollarama. I tried to ring them but none of the numbers listed worked so I asked Huffle to pop in on his way home from work and pick it up (even though one of his presents was in there - not an important one though!). They couldn't find the missing purchases. I am flummoxed. Where did they go? I have a receipt saying I paid for them, they don't have them there, there is nothing in my car and I went straight to the car after buying them.

The boys played on one DS together, well I think Small played and Smallest watched. They had to charge it at the same time so I made them a little cushioned, blanketed place for them to sit. Sweet.

We had some 'not so great' news today about Uncle Dermott. He has not responded as well as the hospital hoped and is having to have another procedure which means that Mr & Mrs Gator will not be back when they originally hoped. They have very kindly offered their house to us whilst they are away and roped members of Mrs Gators family in to welcome us and show us around etc. We feel helpless all the way over here and wish we could help. We want Aunty Plant and the Gators to know our thoughts are with them constantly and we have all our fingers crossed and hope for better news soon. Come on Uncle Dermott, please get better soon.

 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tell big ears that all the stoke city players are having big red thumbs on when they play it will help them . come on vale !!!!