Monday 23 July 2012

Sauble Beach

Huffle and I got to have a lie-in this morning till nearly 9am. Wow! The boys watched a whole movie and then decided we needed to get up. We spent a really lazy morning eating breakfast outside again. Then I read my book, Huffle watched The Cricket and the boys played on the IPad. When we had lazed for as long as could, we went to the supermarket and bought some food.

This is the very big dog that sits outside the VET HOSPITAL near where we are.

......and this is the man who offers free love close to us too. Today he was sporting a little umbrella hat - nice!

By the time we finished unpacking it, it was lunchtime so we packed ourselves up for an afternoon at a different beach and went in search of somewhere to eat.

We stopped at a deli. Not the best place for what we wanted but they accommodated us anyway. Then we had an ice cream (of course). We found a place selling Gelato (our favourite).

Today we were at Sauble Beach. Very busy, very full of people. They let cars park on the sand for a fee. Also one side you have to pay to walk on as it is owned by Saugeen National Park and the other side is free. Bet you can guess which side we went on!

Initially I didn't like it as it was too crammed and the water was quite high waves. However, we found ourselves a spot and dumped our stuff. The sand was lovely. Almost white, very fine on top with wet sand underneath. Great for sculpting.

The boys wanted to go in straight away. So we all went in. The waves were really powerful. I was the first to disappear under a wave. I lost my sunglasses (found them), lost my hair band and completely lost my footing several times. We had to keep a close eye on Smallest because he could have been carried away very easily. Even though we felt like we were pretty much standing still, we were being carried over. We only got our bearings because we could see where our stuff was on the beach and kept making our way back there.

It clouded over just for about ten minutes. The boys went in again. There is Huffle, Smallest and Small.

Small after diving under the waves

The three boys. I waded in as far as I could with my towel still around me, holding my camera, scared I would fall and drop it.

 

The kids absolutely loved it though. Small was diving under the waves, over the waves, through them. He is a very confident swimmer. A couple of times though I carried him on my back to a different bit of water but then the waves would go over our heads again.

Small went out again on his own. That is his head that you can just see!

Smallest thought it was great. He kept going back for more. He was crashing through the waves and into them. He couldn't really swim as it far too rough. It was very hot again. 32*. Again we had no shade so we Made sure we kept putting on the sun cream and tried to keep the kids hats on. I don't know how many times Smallest's hat went floating away.

Smallest and his little castle which caused us a lot of upset when we told him we had to go!

We came out and built some sandcastles, then went in again, then came out and then back in again. In the end we took them off the beach and went in search of dinner. We ended up with a take away back on the beach but we found the shade of a bench for the kids. The beach was almost empty but there were still quite a few in the water.

Us on the Beach for the second time
Almost empty
I remember beaches like this when I was younger. Sand, grass, fence!
The sun glinting. This couple were playing boules
C'mon you too!
Leaving Sauble Beach

Bye bye beach

We came home and the kids watched a bit of TV and then went to bed. It is supposed to rain tonight. Still had no storms but there are more forecast this week.

We had some alternative blog pictures sent from family back home:

 

I sense I am being mocked, but you can't knock an avid photographer down like me. We feel you need more practice with your sculptures. Good try though. X

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you're having a great time on your hols, don't you lot eat a lot of ice cream, lol!!! I've had one this year so far!! Imitation is the sincerest for of flattery you know, but they'll never compete with the master! Bet they'd soon complain if there were no daily updates or photos though, can't win can you!! If you're there for two week you might get time to head South to Goderich. Also have a look at the map and see how far North you think Tobermory is and if you can make it up there for a day. My favourite place in Canada so far.

Hugs
Brenda

HB said...

Loving the alternative pictures. HB x

HB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs Rumbleskins said...

The Australians are laughing at your big waves :)

famfa said...

We would like to see tobermory and goderich, both about 100 km away. May try ! Yes we love a good ice cream and Canada does have some good ones.

famfa said...

It is a lake though not a sea! So big waves considering. You gallah