Tuesday 24 July 2012

The search for Jabba

Another beautiful day. A bit cloudy and cooler to start, very windy in the middle and lovely warmth at the end.

A pancake breakfast started our lazy morning, followed by a trip to the local indoor market. It was very big, stretched over three very large floors. Interesting pieces of furniture hand crafted (but too big for us to take back unfortunately). The boys got buckets for sandcastle making and some wall art stickers for their bedrooms back home. We bought a few little things for our garden, a nice wooden box (we're not sure what it's for yet!).

Then we drove to a local cafe that had a roof top patio. We had a lovely veggie quiche and salad. Then we popped across the road to the bakery and picked up some scones for later, and a cake for threesies on the beach.

Armed with our umbrellas, special sand supports for the umbrellas, buckets, and swimwear we got on to the beach nearest to us. It was very windy there today and the lake was full of waves, unlike the other day we went there when it was really still.

The boys jumped straight in and we had no choice but to follow them as they were being tumbled underneath the waves.

The bottom was quite rocky and it hurt your feet when you were jumping over the waves. I had a wave go over my head the minute I got in! We swam around quite a lot but it wasn't easy. The water was really warm but as soon as your shoulders were out of the water, it was freezing. The wind made it seem so cool. Smallest was in and out and in and out so we had to take it in turns to go with him. In the end Huffle took him out and wrapped him in towels and a blanket to keep him warm while we all went back to swimming.

Keeping snugly warm
Watch out for that wave!
Both of them got covered by that wave

Huffle watches the action

As we were sitting near to the place we were before, I decided to try and find the stone the boys found for me, who we called Jabba. I searched high and low but I never found him. I think someone else found him.

We all had a game of Boules and then made some sandcastles. We couldn't find spades so we had to use our hands. I think we did a good job.

Originally we packed a tea and put in the cool box in the car for later but the sun was so hot and the umbrellas wouldn't stay in because of the wind, so after letting the boys have one last sit in the waves..........

You should have seen how many small stones got caught in their swim shorts!

My foot print. This is weird, sometimes it looks like the print is in the sand and then when you look again it appears to pop out of the sand.

 

We came away, had some tea back at the house, showered and played some games.

It is obvious the boys are lacking in sleep so tonight they went to bed earlier than the last couple of nights. At least it is not quite as hot this evening so they didn't have trouble getting to sleep.

Huffle and I sit in the back room (sun room) every evening. It is like a 'hide'. Animals wander past and don't even see us, it's great. Tonight we saw a Cardinal eating insects, a chickadee onthe bird feeder.....

A rabbit and a deer.

This photo is a bit blurred because I tried to zoom in but you can just about see the deer in the centre between two trees

I decided to go and see where the deer went to and to see what was though the wooded bit at the back of the garden.

I found a lovely looking shed (could have been an outside loo at one time), I walked though the wood and out into a clearing, at first I saw nothing and then there was a big snort and the deer went running off. It was obviously very camouflaged and had been watching me walk closer and closer to it. Huffle thinks it was alerting me to the fact that it was there. I'm glad it did else I would have fell over it, I was more scared than him I think. I thought I saw him in a foresty bit, but it stood so still for so long, I started to think it was a tree. Then I turned around and when I turned back it had gone. I wonder if it was watching me again. This garden is obviously a thoroughfare for the deer as they seem to come through every night. This was a different one to the ones we have seen before though. It seemed younger and more reddish brown.

The old Loo?
At the back of the garden

Somewhere in here the deer is hiding and watching me.

On the way back I saw a rabbit again but he ran away scared, flicking his tail at me as he went.

 

Fancy being snorted at by a deer!

 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Morning fellow holidaymakers, just off to makeshift Brussels beach for early cocktails blue sky v hot, lovely. Glad u having good times waves look great, do they hv bodyboards ? Ps, altblog photos looked great, we had fun doing them. Xx

famfa said...

Enjoy your hols say hi to m&m from me. We left body board at home may have to buy more x

Anonymous said...

That picture of the footprint is doing my head in... it keeps changing on me from indented to whatever the opposite of indented is!!! Outdented???? Waves look big, such a large body of water to be a lake, still can't fathom it even after 18 years!

Hugs
Brenda