Thursday 24 January 2013

Another Wipeout!

-15* (feels like -25*) with a NNW wind. Which actually means it is very cold as it touches your face! In fact AA and I both have face burn - yuk.

Smallest went to school in his new Elf top.

Huffle and the boys went off, though Smallest couldn't find his coat because he had left it in my car the day before. Suffice to say his coat was freezing cold after an overnight stay in the car. He also forgot his homework.

Aunty A and I were expecting snow again and were both disappointed to find none this morning. What would we do? Go snowboarding? Would it be too hard and icy? Go to the beach? Was the wind in the right direction? The sun was out and the sky was a beautiful blue but we could tell there was a slight wind. We had breakfast, skyped Moo (who had had more snow) and then got dressed in our snow gear and hit the slopes. The idea being that we checked it out first and if it was too cold/icy/windy/scary looking, we would head for the beach instead. We had packed a picnic and a flask and were ready for a day out (well up to 3:30pm anyway).

Well we are here now, we might as well stay

The slopes were completely empty and had just been pisted so it looked very inviting. We thought as we were there and dressed for it, we might as well have a go. We went and hired some boots for AA and paid for the 'Nursery Slopes' (the girls behind the desk laughed at us for saying Nursery instead of Beginner Hill - have they never been to Europe?).

AA trying not to hit the fence

My favourite photo of the day


Boots were tried on and tied by me. A small boy asked me if I could help him put his boots on (after he had seen me expertly tie AA's. I told him I didn't work there but he didn't seem phased). Off we went, walking like a couple of experts towards the magic carpet. AA said it made her car sick. Up we got, strapped on our bindings and AA stood up. I was about to give her some tips when the iciness of the slope and the wind whipped her away. All I heard was "how do I t................" as she disappeared down the hill and did an elegant twist and a fall on her bottom. But she got up and carried on until she fell again. Poor AA did a lot of falling down. She also did some really good boarding standing up, pointing in the right direction and ending at the bottom not always on her knees.

My feet and AA just getting up

We went up and down, avoiding the kids having their lessons, sometimes being completely on our own - my favourite time, but not AA's as she said later "I liked it better when the kids were there because then I had an excuse to stop and fall over in case I bumped into them!".

Yay - she's doing it

We stopped for lunch - a lovely toasted cheese and Arugula (rocket) bagel, Pringles and chocolate digestives. We saved the banana in case of times of trouble later (which didn't happen actually).

AA's favourite photo

The slope in the background is the one we aspire to do

We went back out. More car-sickness, more falling, more standing boarding. I lost my glove when I was taking a photo of AA and it blew away without me seeing. I had to board down the hill with my hand stuffed in my sleeve - I thought my fingers were going to snap off - IT WAS THAT COLD! Of course, we had to go back up to look for my glove as we couldn't have carried on without it. AA lent me her inside glove and we went back up. It was right over the far side of the hill about to fall over the side. Phew. We spent until 2pm ish and gave up due to me being too cold and AA having hurt her knee, ankle and hand. We really enjoyed it and I think I did better than I ever have. It was far too icy and hard and next time we will only go if it has snowed properly and it is thick and fluffy and like falling on to a cosy blanket.

We forgot our boards and had to go back for them. AA kept laughing at nothing (she was laughing at herself every time she remembered falling over). We came home, got warm, went back out and walked to the Beer Store to stock up on beer and wine. It was actually colder walking there than being on the slopes. That NNW wind was right in our faces. Not so bad coming home though.

When we got back in again we had showers. I didn't want to come out as it was so hot in there. All clean, we had a cup of tea, a biscuit, a couple of games of Monopoly Deal and the boys were home. Smallest went in the bath and Small played Monopoly Deal with us. Then the kids went on the Wii while we made pizza. Huffle came home.

We had dinner and then watched more of the film.

Tomorrow the boys are at home as it is a PA day. I am teaching AA how to crochet in front of the fire. We have have no intention of going out and getting cold unless it snows in the night and then we said we would play in the garden. AA needs her poor bruises to heal.

 

 

No comments: