Wednesday 23 January 2013

Elfisms at the Mall

It was so cold last night, my hair was cold and my nose was freezing. We watched a bit of Red Dwarf and I had my nose under the blanket and the quilt around my head like a hood. Aunty A had to put on her hoodie at 5am as she was so cold. When Huffle got up to morning he said it was -21 and felt like -31. Huffle's steering froze while he was reversing out of the drive. He wore a vest under his shirt for the first time in his working life.

When I got up the Weather Channel said it -20 (feels -27) and our temperature gauge said -18.

Small went to school wrapped up again. I forgot to make his lunch so it was a mad panic at bus time. Smallest, AA and I had a lovely breakfast of waffles and fruit. I rang a few people back about the jam jars. One of the people that left a message yesterday about jam jars, I thought was a man, turns out was a woman. I spoke to her husband, who happened to be DonNoQuotey from across the road (you know, the man who came to look at the loft, over a year ago and promised to quote for us, but never ever got back to us - yet sits there happily playing his guitar while we are sitting on our porch and doesn't say a word!) well I may have inadvertently offended both him and his wife this morning when I said someone rang from their house and it was definitely a man! Whoops.

Anyway, AA, Smallest and I got dressed and went out. Our first visit was to a nice lady I knew, who gave us half a dozen jars. Next we visited a lovely lady (English, been here since 1976) who gave me about a dozen huge Mason Jars which will be perfect for our ping pong game. I had an email too later offering me a few more.

We carried on to the mall in the freezing car. AA and Smallest both complaining about cold feet. We had to divert due an accident but we got there eventually.

We found the shop we wanted and bought a few things. Smallest was very good and didn't mind being in a shopping mall at all. We showed Aunty A how to climb the escalators in an 'Elf' style. She was very good at it. We even found an 'Elf' top in the sale and bought it for Smallest.

A moose, Elf Escalators, waiting for AA and a Koala

Hats were tried on. Shops were perused. We had a big stop for lunch and a small stop for coffee.

Breakfast, coffee and a scary two-Smallest moment

Then we came away and drove home. We had a game of ping pong jars and then set up Disney Monopoly and waited for Small to come home. It wasn't long and we all played (though I think I fell asleep a few times). AA won.

The boys had their tea/dinner. Huffle came home. Today he had his blood tests at the doctors - he wasn't allowed any food or drink after 8pm last night and AA and I sat tucking into Quality Street (poor Huffle). He is terrified of needles and always faints, but he did well and it is all over now. In fact he did so well, at the end the nurse said 'I'll get you a sucker'. Imagine Huffle's surprise when she handed him a lollipop! I wonder what he was expecting? Hopefully he can get his results now for the palpitations.

We all sat and watched some of Narnia and then the boys went to bed. It's still very cold. AA and I are waiting for snow so we can go boarding but it's just not happening.

 

P.s. Mandanorian, in Smallest speak, means Mandatory. It was mandatory that they wore their ski pants outside.

 

No comments: