Tuesday 1 January 2013

Beaurocratic Nonsense

The story from yesterday was that once we got into Pearson Airport, Toronto, we had to join a very long line. Moo was going out and we were due back at 9ish. We rang her to say we were held up but there was no reply. We had told her earlier that she could ask ClownRose to sit with the boys if she wanted to go out early. ClownRose did indeed sit with the boys (though they were fast asleep before she got there). While we were talking to Moo (who we found at the Royals house) and the Royals about how long we would be, we got pulled over and made to wait in a very long queue full of non-Canadian people in Immigration. Now when we first moved here over a year ago, we had to go through Immigration. I didn't like it then and I certainly didn't appreciate it last night. Moo went off to her New Years Eve party but couldn't relax because she was worried about us getting through the airport. I was worried about ClownRose having to sit in our house not knowing how long we would be. NoCustard, who was with Moo, kept texting me to see if we were okay and through yet, to keep Moo's mind at rest. The queue for Immigration did not go down very quickly because people kept being added to the front of the queue. We were getting madder and madder at this point. Eventually we got to the front and were interviewed by yet another a police officer. Same questions, where have we been, what did we do, blah blah, blah. Once we got through that, which incidentally was RANDOM, we had to then go through the baggage pickup. As we didn't have any bags we went straight for the exit only to be pulled over again and had to wait yet again to be interviewed by another officer who asked the same questions, this time targeting me and my bag. My bag was emptied and he questioned me about did I buy anything YES A COUPLE OF CHEAP T-SHIRTS. why didn't we declare it on our customs form? BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T WORTH ANYTHING. How much were they worth? NOT A LOT! What did you pay for them. OMG ABOUT $2! He looked through the purchases and shrugged. He let us go and said it was just RANDOM. I said I doubted that as we had been pulled over at every opportunity that day. They said I was unlucky. UNLUCKY? The beaurocratic !!!!!!!!!'s. I felt truly humiliated and it ruined the end of a lovely break. We think it was because we were English or at least NOT CANADIAN. Huffle asked the last one if we would have to go through this if we were permanent residents. He didn't really answer. I was really upset and angry and it made it a rubbish New Years Eve for us all. I felt like we were being punished because they had to work for New Year's Eve and they wanted to keep us there for as long as possible.

We came home. Relieved ClownRose of her duties (I wouldn't have left the boys happily with anyone else and I am so grateful she was free to sit with them). We packed her off with a couple of beers and a chunk of Christmas Cake and sat down and ate gingerbread and had a good old English cup of tea. We had no alcohol and only just happened to notice it was past midnight. We said Happy New Year to each other, watched a bit of TV and went to bed. We heard Moo come in sometime after 1am - she had had a good time but it was ruined by the airport business too. Apparently there are some photos of her dancing, I shall have to see if I can get them!

We slept very well although it was very quiet, not at all what we have been used to over the last few nights. There was a lone firework and the heating made some noises.

We had a lie-in this morning. Huffle emptied our cases while I showered. We gave the boys some clown noses and hats from our trip away.

We all had breakfast and I made Moo look through all 700+ photos - she was very pleased!! After breakfast the boys played on the Wii, Moo and I played Table Tennis and Huffle watched his beloved Stoke get beat by Mr Royal's team Man City.

Port Perry Tree, Ducky and Cyril in our garden

Temperature was -9. We got our snow stuff stuff on and drove to Port Perry. The snow was really deep and powdery. Lovely to walk in. The restaurant we were going to was closed. In fact everywhere was closed today. The boys went on the park and we walked along the lake. The lake was very frozen and a man was kite surfing or boarding on it. A few people were running in it. Huffle and I didn't like it and didn't want to go on. Moo took the boys on it a bit and Small came off soon after when he saw a crack.

Smallest on the park, the Lake absolutely covered in thick ice, Moo and the boys ON the ice, all of us

Huffle took the boys back to the park and Moo and I went to see what day the restaurant opened again. On the way we found another place open and we all went in there instead. It was nice. We had loads to eat. The boys got to try soups they wouldn't have normally ordered and Moo and I had a crustless quiche. Huffle had Chicken Pot Pie. Moo and I toasted the New Year with a cheeky glass of red each and we all had a lovely pudding. We walked back towards the lake and played in the snow. Snow angels, snowballing, jumping, writing, rolling. It was good fun.

Silly Moo and her falling downs!

An impromptu band in the bandstand, Small throwing snowballs, Moo and Smallest, Huffle and Smallest

We drove back home and Moo and I went and had a cup of tea with the Royals (and tried to sort out their Skype) until their son and Grandkids arrived. Huffle and the boys played outside and then we all came in. Small had a Spirograph type thing for Chrstmas so we played with that for a while and Smallest coloured in.

The boys had tea in front of the TV, Moo did her crossword, I blogged and Huffle looked through all the coupons in the paper. Huffle and Moo played table tennis (she is out of practice since we went away).

Yesterday I hated being here in this country and I so much wanted to be home in England. Now after a day in the lovely snow with my lovely family, I am feeling happier. The situation at the airport has made me wary of travelling out of Canada though. If we have to go through that everytime I will be very unhappy.

Me and Small - we look cold because it was cold

Small sitting in the snow - I think I might have pushed him!

Smallest playing with his ice wand.

 

Some highlights from New York.

FLAT IRON

 

CHRYSLER BUILDING

 

THE GUGGENHEIM MUSEUM

The film I remember being inside this building was Mr Poppers Penguins

 

THE SKYLINE
THE LIGHTS AT NIGHT

THE CHARACTERS

Maybe more to follow tomorrow....

 

 

HAPPY NEW YEAR

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry the whole immigration thing ruined the end of your trip, I think there might be something in it that they didn't want to work on New Year so made it a pain for everyone else too. We had a lot more questions before we got permanent residence (green cards) but I still have trouble coming back into the US at one location from Canada due to an airline not removing something from my passport about 12 years ago!! They pick it up every single time at this one border crossing and I get held anywhere from one to two hours. We haven't visited Canada for three years because of it, and each time they tell me it will all be sorted out now they've got all the details but it never is. The odd thing is that I've crossed back into the US at a different location and flown internationally from Detroit, Baltimore, Cincinnati and Washington and they never stop me!! Jumped up little @#%$!! is what some of them are!!

Anyway, I enjoyed your NY posts, it's a great place to visit. Glad you had a good day today playing in the snow, it was lovely and sunny here too, cold but nice. See you tomorrow for WOYWW?? And Happy New Year to you all.

Hugs
Brenda