Tuesday 25 November 2014

Tree Damage, Tax and Tradition

Apparently the wind was wild last night and some homes were without power. We filled the bath, kettle and jug with water and got all the candles out. We didn't get a power cut despite the lights flashing. We also slept really really well and heard nothing of the wind or branches falling.

Huffle worked at home and the boys went off to school. Smallest was fine this morning. The temperatures went back down but stayed in the positives (just, I think it was about 1*). It also snowed but not too much.

I spent the day at Suffolk's house sewing, she was busy making her blinds for her college course and I just got on with one of my quilting squares. We had a lovely lunch, a laugh and got a lot done.

The boys were already home when I got back and were emptying their bags. No homework today apart from Smallest practising for his presentation tomorrow. There was some piano practice and the boys and I went to the library to get new books.

Today we had a package from UK from Marks and Spencers. On their website they are offering free delivery to Canada, New Zealand and Australia on orders over £30. Grandma decided to take advantage of this offer and get us a few bits for Christmas. However, when it was delivered, Huffle had to pay tax of $55. He was outraged. In his words, M&S are con merchants and are preying upon people desperate to send gifts to people in ex-pat countries. I was just about to send something to Australia as well, now I will have to read the fine print to check!!!!!

Smallest preparing for his presentation which included a magic trick.

 

1 comment:

Mrs Rumbleskins said...

That's crazy! I order stuff from Next all the time. No delivery charge. No tax. I assume its some crazy Canadian thing. Shouldn't be a prob in Australia.