Wednesday 24 December 2014

Let's Go Mallard!

My husband is so Rock n Roll. At breakfast this morning he announced he was having a Christmas treat in his porridge. BRANDY I replied. "Oh I could have Baileys couldn't I?" He said. IS THAT WHAT YOU WERE GOING TO HAVE? "No, Raspberry Jam!" Honestly. Raspberry Jam in his porridge! Chamomile Tea at his Christmas Party! This boy needs to calm down!

We spent the entire morning and part of the afternoon assembling the gingerbread house, making decorations for the chocolate log and decorating gingerbread biscuits.

Moo said yesterday that I should have a plan for the gingerbread house, with templates and what to do etc. today I realised she was right (shhh don't tell her I said that). The house was built and glued together using Mary Berry's foolproof icing and the boys decorated it. I never made any roof supports so we decided upon a flat roof. Well everyone knows that flat roofs, lots of snow and roof tiles don't work in Canada and eventually it collapsed, taking the back wall with it. I then placed the roof on a different way and added some biscuits for the middle. There is a structural support inside which is an upside down Sundae Glass (old school Aunty Kat).

Huffle and Small were asked to make a Robin for the log but instead made a Blue Jay. I thought it was a duck, Moo thought it was a mallard and when Huffle Skyped Grandma and Grandad later, they thought it was a penguin.

After baking and decorating and clearing was done, we set about making pasta from scratch. Small mixed, Huffle kneaded and the boys and Huffle rolled and cut. Moo and I prepared the sauces and accompaniaments and Garlic Bread. Finally, with a glass of Italian Red, we sat down to eat mid afternoon. It was worth it.

Late afternoon we sat down and watched Polar Express before the boys were allowed to open one present each (as is tradition for us on Christmas Eve). Of course they chose to open their presents from each other which were Nerf Guns. Then the Nerf war began.

Lots of shooting, cowering, splatting and then a visit from Mrs Royal who had a singing dancing hat and brought us a present (she may have been a bit merry too).

I had a message on my phone which said "fancy a Skype call?" DEPENDS WHO IT IS I said as I didn't recognise the number. It was the Rumbleskins and we had a lovely call with them. Stilll Christmas Eve for us but Christmas morning for them. We got to see some really cool presents and the sunshine outside. No snow for them!

No snow for us either. All of our snow has pretty much gone and it looks drizzly outside. We are supposed to have flurries tomorrow - we'll see.

There were three video messages from Santa this year. One each for the boys and one for Moo. Unfortunately he couldn't tell any of them if they were on the nice or naughty list - I'm not surprised, the way they have all been behaving!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS

 

No comments: