Thursday 11 December 2014

You have to eat the Harrods one!*

It did snow in the night. Don't know what time it started but Small got up at 3am with a nose bleed and he said it was snowing then. Poor Small was covered in blood this morning but he didn't wake anyone up, just sorted himself out. His voice was almost gone, I'm guessing because he had his mouth open because of his nose. Moo woke up at 3am and found it hard to get back to sleep so checked what was in her case and found even more chocolate. HURRAH. It truly is Christmas now.

What I woke up to!

*When I was making breakfast I asked the boys what they wanted. They both wanted my new lemon curd. YOU CAN'T HAVE THAT IT'S NOT OPEN YET, YOU'LL HAVE TO EAT THE HARRODS ONE! (We do have expensive tastes in this house).

Because of the snow, the school bus was cancelled and although the road was ploughed, it looked too thick for me to drive so Moo and I walked the boys to school. It wasn't that cold on the way there and Moo fell over twice (that's three times already including falling up the stairs yesterday) because the snow had been compacted by car tyres and it made it quite slippy (glad I didn't drive). On the way back the snow was in our faces and it was biting! There was more heavy snow forecast for the afternoon.

What is that face I am pulling?

And boy, did that snow come. We had over a foot of snow and 15 hours of constant snow. Moo and I spent the morning sewing on badges (well I let her do that bit) and knitting. Huffle was working in the basement today (it was quite hectic in the house this morning and that was the only place he could get some peace) so we all managed a lunch together. Moo and I went out and started clearing the drive and Don No Quotey came and helped us with his new Snow Blower. He said he wanted to play with it so we let him. He did a lovely job and Moo and I cleared around him. Moo did a fabulous job on clearing a pathway on the 'sidewalk' and wondered why the post lady drove on the path she had just cleared. Silly Moo, she made a path on the road.

Don No Quotey sprayed snow everywhere, but not on Moo or I and Huffle came out to join us and cleared his precious car. He did clear some snow too and the drive was eventually clear, except that it carried on snowing quite hard. Moo and I walked back to school to pick the kids up and walked back towing them along and making sure they didn't dive headlong into the snow too much. It was a long hard walk and the snow on the paths was impossible to get through so we had to walk along the road, jumping onto the side everytime a car came along. I think we were the only family walking. Small said they both missed the first period of school and they nearly got a late slip (which I think is a bit harsh seeing as we walked and a lot of kids didn't even turn up). I still feel it is important to send the kids to school, whatever the weather, but unfortunately a lot of parents don't feel the same. There was even a note in the school newsletter saying how important it was to have a regular attendance. Small has 100% attendance so far this year and he wants to keep it. Good for him.

Anyway, by the time we got home the driveway was completely covered again. Huffle went back out when he finished work and cleared it again. Moo and I made dinner but were so weary. We were supposed to have gone for a forest walk today but couldn't get the car out. I think we probably did more though as we walked over 5km just back and forth to school let alone all the clearing of snow. Also I ache so much from aerobics. OUCH OUCH and OUCH!

After dinner and the boys had finished their homework, we all played Mousetrap which went on and on and on and in the end Smallest won. The kids watched a Christmas film and Moo and I played Scrabble.

 

 

 

No comments: