Friday 16 March 2012

Bumps in the night

Last night we had a horrible storm. I don't know if it is usual for here, but it was the loudest thunder we have ever heard and the lightening went on and on and on with not much time in between. Small woke up shouting "what was that loud bang?" and Smallest ended up in bed with us for a while because he was frightened. The power went off at least once. (we all and torches next to our beds just in case), however I was in charge of our torch because I am actually scared of the dark! When the power went off I scrambled to get the torch I had put under my pillow, knocked it off the bed and thought I had sent it to the floor. Huffle then had to scrabble under the dusty bed to get it. It wasn't under there after all, it had just fallen between the wall and the bed! Whoops.

I fell asleep quickly as usual. Huffle hid under the covers (he doesn't like to see the lightening), even though it was hot and clammy. Both of us had headaches from the pressure! I kept waking up. Huffle hardly slept all night. The boys had a broken nights sleep, but it didn't stop them getting up early.

H

Today's weather started out quite dull and overcast but by mid morning it was another beautiful day. 18*, which is great, although after reading Brenda's blog it is clear that these warms days of March have an impact far worse in other places.

The boys and I had a clearing session. They tidied their rooms and put their clothes away, then we all set about clearing and cleaning the three-seasons room. It's very tidy now and really cool (as in cool - cold not yeah dude - cool) so hopefully when Summer comes it will continue to be cool in there and we can escape the heat.

We put lots of things away into the barn (hope we won't regret this), we moved the snow boots, snow shovels and the big piece of cardboard we stepped on when we were covered in snow. I spoke to someone yesterday who said it can still snow in April here. Eeeuuuuuuu. Oh well, we can pretend for now that Spring is here. Actually it felt like a Summer's day today.

The boys had loads of fun playing on the Jungle Jim and scooting. We played games on the porch. Small and I played seven games of Monopoly Deal and he won six of them. He is ruthless.

Yahoo skyped me and we had a good chat with her and Maggot and Drummerboy. We haven't spoken to them since we went to Florida so it was good to catch up.

 

We skyped Grandma and Grandad. Grandad answered and said he couldn't get the sound working. He tried all sorts but couldn't find it. Grandma was in the bath! I tried to mime to him what to do but we both ended up laughing. I tried writing him a note but we still just laughed. In the end he got Grandma out of the bath to sort it out. Silly Grandad! They showed us some new purchases they bought for the trip here in April. They watched the boys on the swing opened slide. Grandad made Small go down the slide even though there was a puddle at the bottom, then he said Small was wet himself. Naughty Grandad!

Huffle came home early and played too. He played Downfall and Top Trumps with Smallest. He decided to move some stuff from the barn to outside and found Alvin, Simon and Theodore (Chipmunks). We didn't know if it was three in there or just one that moved about a lot. It was nice to have him home early. Wish he could do that more often.

We also have a woodpecker that visits us most days now. We have called him Wilberforce. He is a smart little fellow.

This isn't Wilberforce, I accidentally scared him away. I think this is a nuthatch - he has a really long thin beak. He hasn't got a name yet, he needs to visit more!

This is Wilberforce either, I think this may be a Starling but Huffle didn't think so becuase he had a bluey head. He hasn't been named yet.

I met another neighbour today who owns the two houses on our left. One for her sons and one for her and her husband. She said we could go round for tea anytime. She also said she would invite the boys round at Christmas to see how she decorates her house.

The boys had ice cream on the porch at the end of the day but we had to give in and come inside when the bugs started nipping us. Mosquitos bit me last night on the ankle and hand and both have swollen a bit and are sooooooo itchy!

Two tired boys at the end of the day. Zonked out in front of the TV.

I heard from Aunty A. She is back at work, has had her interview for her own job and is not sleeping too well (jet lag). Poor Aunty A, we miss you loads. Hope you get the news you want from work, and that your sleep patterns settle soon.

Uncle Dermott is out of hospital. Well Done Unc, best to be at home where Aunty Plant can look after you.

 

2 comments:

Brenda B said...

Yes, the thunderstorms here can be pretty scary, it always seems so much louder and seems to rumble on longer too. I think part of the problem is also the wood framed houses instead of brick, ours vibrates like crazy in a storm and everything rattles, even the windows shake, must be hitting the correct resonance or something. Our storms tend to be shorter but much more violent than in the UK, sometimes looking like those news images you see of Florida in a hurricane! If a storm is coming in during the summer and I'm at home I usually take down the hanging baskets or move things that might take off close to the house.

I think the bird is a starling, we see those too. Starlings actually come in a multitude of colours all over the world, some really bright and pretty ones in Africa.

And it can definitely, and frequently does, snow in April! It's not over til it's over!! I'm leaving my winter tyres on my car just in case! Have a great weekend, hopefully no more thunderstorms. I sunbathed when I got in from work today!!

Hugs
Brenda

Mary Ann Tate said...

I afraid we get really loud summer storms...lots of lightening. I love them:) The louder the better.

Here is a my post from last September of a really big storm over the lake......http://mytategallery.blogspot.ca/2011/09/where-have-i-been.html

Your bird could be a starling or a cow bird. They usually flock together. Cow birds have a black body and a brownish head.