Tuesday 22 October 2013

If I could live again I would be a .................

I didn't sleep well last night. Head too full of rubbish, and it was rubbish as well. Huffle didn't sleep well (though he was asleep when I was awake!) because he does have a head full of stuff. I also think he might be suffering with a head cold.

Huffle decided to stay at home today and work, which actually means he starts earlier but I did make sure he finished at 5ish! The boys went to school. It has definitely turned cooler, however, Small has not noticed yet. He is still in shorts.

I raked a load of leaves, filled a couple of bins and went to work. Jeff had lost the bulb drill so we worked on the Alpine garden today. Jeff told us to work around the paths and I wished I had taken a photo before we started as I had no idea where the paths were. It looked a thankless task. However, four of us working for two hours and we had made a lovely job. Lots of lovely paths, no weeds, raked gravel. Beautiful. We stopped for cookies and coffee of course. Today Jan had made Crackle cookies which tasted like brownies and were delicious. We carried on for a while among the alpines and I managed to bring home a couple of Sumack trees. One each for the boys to remind them of our monkey tree back home in the Village.

Once home, Huffle and I had lunch of soup to warm our bones and then we skyped Aunt Pear. We got to speak to HB and Unc Pear and we discussed Christmas presents and caught up generally. Huffle got back on with his work and I went into the garden and planted the two trees and raked up many many many leaves which I used as a mulch on top of the beds and then put the rest on the compost pile.

Huffle needed some air so we went for a quick walk around the Hamlet. It was much colder and he had to wear a hat (to be fair, he doesn't have any hair to keep his head warm these days, ahhhhhhh.

I sneaked into the cornfield on the way home just for some photos.

As we got home, the bus arrived and the boys stumbled off. They both did their maths, Huffle moved into the loft to get some peace and finish his work and I went and bought a huge box full of Lego (shhhhhhh, don't tell the boys, I will wrap it up for Christmas) from a friend in the Hamlet who is moving soon. I also had a look at a wardrobe they had which I want to buy but am not sure how to move it as it's too big for our car.

I came home and played Scrabble with Small whilst also making dinner. Huffle still worked away and Smallest played on the computer.

We had dinner, baked crackle cookies which were very messy but oh so yummy and the boys watched TV before bed.

It is the final of the Great British Bake Off tonight so Huffle and I will be watching with our tea and a crackle cookie (unfortunately I already know the results because I saw it on Facebook but Huffle doesn't!)

 

 

5 comments:

Wonder Woman said...

What's the difference between crackle cookies and brownies? Is it just a different name or do they crackle? X

Unknown said...

Off to town to search for all important £1 pressies, loudest card I can find and a couple of stocking fillers, wrapping paper etc. In other words we are having a Canada Christmas prep day. Quite looking 4wd to it. We wll look for the $5 English thing. Ps. We found the Pokemon game in loft last tonight ,will send with G&G. (Actually Unc Pear found it, I'd given up!!)

famfa said...

The crackle part is because you roll it in icing sugar and as they expand the sugar leaves a cracking effect. Want the recipe? Xx

famfa said...

Sounds fun, wish I could come too. I would be helpful. Glad unc pear found the game, sure they will love it. Promise we will treat it with care xx

Sarah Tomson said...

Those crackle cookies look lovely, please can we have the recipe

I kept meaning to watch the bake off but haven't even managed one episode and now its finished oops!