Friday 18 July 2014

Scary Shark Eyes

Apparently when you get to a certain age, your eyesight starts deteriorating. I had my eyes tested 2.5 years ago in England and I was 'borderline' so didn't get any glasses. Recently I have started to notice my eyes getting worse, for example I bought some eye drops because my eyes felt dry but couldn't read the instructions on the back on the bottle - ironic! Today I had an eye test appointment, dropped Moo and the kids off in our local town and drove to where I thought it was. I had to ring them as I was completely lost, they gave me instructions to go East and not hit the 48. Being English/female/not a Map reader/no sense of direction, I am not accustomed to north, south etc and the roads here are called by a Number (sometimes two different numbers) and a road name (sometimes that same road has three different names). Who knows how I found it but I did. When I got there I told them I had trouble finding them but maybe it was because I needed an eye test. I thought that was funny but all they said was "well you are in the right place".

I had a routine eye examination and all was fine, I am good long distance but my 'close reading' is a little off so I had a prescription for some occasional use reading glasses. The optometrist put some drops into my eye to do a Dilation Test. The drops had to be in for 15 minutes which gave me perfect time to try on frames. WHICH TYPE OF FRAMES DO YOU LIKE? I had no idea. I tried on all of them, I had the receptionist helping and a random woman who was in for a test too. In fact she was very helpful. When I narrowed it down to two pairs, the Optometrist helped and chose a lovely purple pair. I asked them "why don't I look intelligent like other people when I wear glasses?" "Why do glasses make my nose look bigger?" "I want to look like the film stars when they take their glasses off and shake their hair loose". They were very patient with me and humoured me a lot. The more I tried on the worse my eyesight got until I couldn't see any writing on the glasses or any small shapes. I have no idea whether I have chosen a trendy brand name or not. I got the last part of my test done and all is well. I paid for my prescription glasses and left. OUCH! I was warned to bring sunglasses as the eye drops would make my eyes very sensitive to sunlight. OMG I could hardly see to drive. They said I was safe to drive and to be fair I could see things far away but nothing up close.

Moo and the kids weren't at the park when I arrived (though to be fair I couldn't really see who was who, I just relied on remembering what they were wearing) so I carried on to the cafe. There they were, a big cookie between them, their reading books and an apple juice each. I had a coffee with them and the boys laughed at how big my pupils were. Small said it reminded him of the shark in Nemo when he smelt blood. Well that's nice then! We drove home, stopped off to get some wine which I couldn't see either and had lunch on the porch with Huffle. He couldn't look at me, he said it was like I had scary contact lenses in.

This is Moo in someone else's garden wowing at the fact that the hydrangea flower is as big as her head.

We had a piece of Small's brownie and a cup of tea before we headed off to take the boys to a leisure centre to swim, play in the lazy river and go down the slide. It took us over 30 minutes to get there due to the Detour (not a diversion) but once we did, the boys showed their cards with their funny photos on which meant they didn't have to do the swim test this time. This is one place (swimming) that the boys play nicely together and there are no arguments. However, there was a little scuffle between Smallest and another boy at the top of the slide. Smallest was being so very English and queuing nicely (as only us Brits can do), when a boy tried to push in ahead of him. There was some pushing and name calling and the boy said Smallest punched him in the face (which he didn't, well I don't think he did!) and he was asked to take a responsible adult with him to the office. Well that was me seeing as there was only me or Moo. Once in the office I asked why we had to be there, Smallest, in tears, told the lifeguard what had happened. She then took him back to the slide to tell the lifeguard there that he could go back on the slide but was to tell one of the guards if it happened again. Then the Mum appeared and asked Smallest if he had punched her little darling in the face........ Blah blah, it was all sorted but the boys belonging to the lady bothered the boys for the rest of the session. Still, they had a good time and they enjoyed it.

Back home, the boys and Moo played badminton while Huffle and I made pizza which we all ate in front of Harry Potter (last film part 1) which we didn't finish as Smallest was a bit bored.

My eyes returned to normal at some point during the swimming session and Huffle could look at me again.

One of our hydrangeas (not quite as big as Moo's head).

 

No comments: