Tuesday 5 August 2014

Call me from the bottom of Lake Huron

Last night as we were eating dinner, two of Small's teeth fell out, one after the other (very strange). The tooth fairy still managed to find him and his teeth despite the fact he forgot to tell us where he put them. As Huffle and I were going to bed, I sent Huffle in to find the teeth. "What if he wakes up?" THEN FLAP YOUR FAIRY WINGS AND STICK YOUR GOOFY TEETH OUT!

A nice lie-in this morning, followed by a croissant breakfast made by Huffle with fresh coffee and Orange Juice. Smallest cleared everything away from the table and we set the Robot Hoover to clear up after Smallest and then Small washed up. Ahhhhhh Mummy's on holiday at last.

Once again the weather report was bad for the morning but we kind of ignored it. Huffle got carted off before he was even properly dressed with MrOwner to go and see the man who had the canoes and kayaks. Just across the road and two doors down is their cottage which they were leaving today. We could sit on their part of the beach using their path to get on, use their stuff and come and go as we pleased. Once we got ourselves organised we walked down, said a quick hello and goodbye to the leaving owner and dragged a wooden canoe and two kayaks down to the beach, plus life jackets.

Huffle and Smallest went in the Canoe (I get very confused with which is which as I used to have a one man canoe in England and that's what it was called but here it seems to be the other way round!), and Small and I had a kayak each. It was lots of fun and hard work. We played around for about an hour or so. I put my phone in a freezer bag to protect it from the water and the kayaks each had a safe dryish place to store things, so we had my phone in one and the flapjack and water in another.

When we changed over and put Smallest in a kayak by himself, I dropped my phone and it fell to the bottom of the lake, whoops - it's a good job Smallest found it for me, still working and mainly dry. Smallest didn't get on too well as his arms weren't long enough and didn't have the strength to get him anywhere so we swapped again and Smallest and I went in the Canoe. I nearly bumped him out and then we almost sank. We had a great time.

We came away and back to the house but left our stuff at the canoe house. After a quick change we drove to Penetanguishine where we parked the car and walked to Kens Place. We had a good feed and then walked to the harbour where we watched a big ship sail away. (We half considered going on the ship but it looked very similar to the one we went on in port perry and that was boring after half an hour - this one was 3.5 hours! Though it did go around some of the Islands. Still it went before we got there so that was that!)

Today we all had Dutch Chocolate - well we thought it would be easier!

A walk back to the car in the very hot sunshine and a brief drive to get some essentials and then back to the house. This afternoon was spent walking to the Canoe house, dropping some stuff off and then walking to the ice cream shop and the incredible talking lady. Before we went in we worked out what we were going to say and what we were going to order so that she couldn't talk a lot to us. We failed. As soon as we walked in she said "oh I'm playing a game and you have interrupted me - Now before you say anything (and we hadn't spoken yet) the delivery hasn't come in yet but it is due at 4:30 though I don't believe them, so tell me what you think you would like and I will tell you if I have it and then we will go from there, I will just wash my hands and the scoop first and then i'll be with you". And then she drew breath! Phew. I thought I could talk! Some time later, we all had our huge ice creams and walked along the beach and back to our stuff.

More kayaking (we put the canoe back as it was much too hard and heavy), jackers, reading and swimming and then we stopped for a late beach picnic at the canoe house's beach table, followed by us borrowing their recliner chairs and chillin'.

Middle Left and Middle middle : Huffle, Smallest and I - Small took these photos when we were so far away.

A most enjoyable day and we left lots of stuff at the beach (as everyone else has gone home) so we won't have so much to carry tomorrow.

Top: inclining to recline

While we were out and about today we saw a place called "castle village". At first we thought it was a kids adventure theme park but when we got closer realised it was a gift/antique shop with extras. The extras being it had a Dungeon of horror......

Well that's enough to put you off isn't it?

A nature walk with themed cottages with interiors based on nursery tales like Little Red Riding Hood, The Three Bears etc. Huffle said NO WAY were we going there. MrOwner asked the boys if we had visited INDIAN VILLAGE today. This is the second or third time he has mentioned this place. He said he had found us a great place to eat "do you like Chinese?" NOT REALLY OUR FAVOURITE. Oh. I'M A VEGETARIAN. Oh you can eat Shrimps NO I CANT! yes, Shrimp is not an animal. Oh right how silly of me, perhaps I can eat it then, after all, it was my decision not to eat meat but perhaps I have got it wrong all these years. He also told me to be careful and cover up in the sun "you are already red you know". YEP I'M RED, YES THATS RIGHT I AM! He is very nice really and we are very grateful he found us the kayaks. We will be back on them again tomorrow.

 

 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You seem to have dropped lucky with the kayaks, etc. Looks a lovely place. Plus the ice cream lady is a real find.

famfa said...

We are definitely lucky. Ice cream lady is very funny and we haven't mentioned her wig x