Thursday 25 September 2014

Eye eye Toothy!

Huffle worked from home. The boys went to school. Grandad tried to start the strimmer but was unsuccessful. What is it about mechanical things and us? After breakfast we went off to shop. Things were brought for taking home and I managed to get some Christmas presents. We stopped in the middle of a car park with shops all around (a bit like Fosse Park for those reading from Leicestershire), where Grandad did his own thing and Grandma and I went for a cup of tea and an espresso. A bit more shopping and then we took Grandad for an ice cream. The young man behind the counter found it difficult to understand he wanted his ice cream in a cup not a cone and that yoghurt was really yoegut. Eventually after we palmed all his quarters (25c) on him we ended up with the correct ice cream and drove home. (Grandma and I didn't have any).

Lunch was eaten with Huffle whilst watching Gardeners World (it's a long time since Huffle and I have watched it and we found it quite funny, though I was sad when he showed a Camellia because we can't grow them here). I left them watching and finished my sewing which was horrible and rushed and I forgot I had taken a photo yesterday and put it on here so I would know what it should look like. BOOOOO.

Small phoned from school and asked if we could bring his football kit as the game was starting straight after school today so I drove it to him and came back home to wait for Smallest to come home. Grandma started dinner and Huffle had a Conference Call and when Smallest got back, Grandad and I cycled with him to school to watch Small's football game. Huffle joined us later wearing his stinky Stoke top!

The two coaches are lady teachers who don't seem completely 'up' on football as we know it. We heard the opposition's coach shout "you need to be a scoring opportunity". Huffle translated this as 'get in the box'. We also heard our coach say "you are inside left (position)". I quizzically looked at Grandad for clarification. He said this was a position from the early 60's and before and hasn't been used since. We wondered where she was getting her coaching skills from? An elderly relative who played in the 50's, then became a recluse with no TV or contact with anyone or anything to do with football? The opposition coach also shouted at her team for cheering when we missed a penalty. Poor sportsmanship fawlty! Once Grandad and Huffle had shouted eagerly from the side to Small, he got into gear and did a good job with his no nonsense English defending. His team won 2-0.

Grandad and Smallest cycled home with only one incident. Smallest fell off his bike and into the ditch head first scraping his knee. Huffle and Small drove home and witnessed Grandad applying first aid with a handful of grass to the wound. He said he couldn't find a dock leaf (apparently one can always wipe ones bum with a dock leaf if pressed). I cycled to the library and told the very nice librarian I was in a hurry and needed to catch up with my kids on their bikes. She walked away and did something else and then chatted to me for a long time while I tried to escape. I took the wrong books back and renewed the wrong ones too.

Eventually I got home. The kitchen was full of lovely smells and dinner was on the way. After dinner and a break while we found a lost remote for the TV (which was found in the pantry), goggles that we still haven't found and the spraying of plaster onto the damaged knee, we had treacle sponge and custard.

The boys went to bed and a tag match happened with Grandad, Huffle and Small ending in Grandad doing his finishing move - The Raspberry.

Oooh look at that beautiful autumn tree

Grandad's OCD moment. Lined up gloves, tidied chairs in a heap, rows of neat tools.

Today's jobs completed by Grandad. Wind chime, compost added to, raspberry canes secured.

While we were out today Grandad went into the Opticians and said "I'm just over visiting from England and wondered if you could tighten my glasses as they keep falling off?". I'M SORRY SIR, WE'RE A DENTIST. This caused a lot of laughing from the people who worked there and the people waiting. He saved this story till later in the day. Grandad we think you may need your eyes testing.

 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well done Small and will done Grandad, shed looks impressive.

Sarah Tomson said...

Sounds like a good day, topped off with treacle sponge 😀 yummy!
Grandad and his exploits have had me giggling once again I bet the dentists wondered what on earth happens in the UK x