Friday 4 December 2015

Dusty Bums

This morning I took Smallest for an allergy test. We had an early appointment and had to drive through construction, work traffic and general slow cars and lorries. It wasn't a pleasant journey but Smallest kept me entertained by telling me things that were appearing on the GPS like ponds, forests and street names. We made it to our appointment with about 30 seconds to spare which wasn't bad considering we had to park and pay for our car parking and then find the correct floor.

DoctorAllergy greeted us and put us in a tiny broom cupboard (obviously it wasn't a cupboard but it was small enough) and sat Smallest on the bed and asked questions. He lay him down on his front and told him to hold a superman pose (arms over the head). Smallest thought this was funny. He then told him that he wouldn't stick him with needles but that it would feel like a cat was walking across his back (eeeek Huffle is allergic to cats, he wouldn't like that). He then took out a 30 pronged metal thing and pressed it into his back leaving 30 ish drops on his back in a nice pattern. He picked off excess droplets and left us alone for ten minutes with strict instructions not to scratch, sit up and rub at them. Smallest and I had an interesting conversation about sitting in cold jelly just to try and stop him thinking about the itching. After ten minutes we could clearly see what he was allergic to and DrAllergy said he would give me a printout, plus an instruction sheet and also a prescription for nasal spray and eye drops. He suggested we shut the windows at home and put the air con during his worst times which is not something I like doing as I love the fresh air and really don't like air conditioning unless it is really necessary. However, we will do whatever is necessary.

Superman pose. BL: after five minutes. BR: after ten minutes

Basically he is allergic to rabbits (that's a strange one), grass (non specific), tree pollen (non specific) and dust mites. Rabbits are not a problem, they are easy to avoid. Grass and tree pollen - I was very disappointed to hear this as we knew about the tree pollen already, what we really wanted to know was what tree pollen so we can try and avoid being out during those times when they are at their worst. He didn't seem to think we needed to know that and said just shut the windows and give him antihistamines. Like I say, I was a bit disappointed to not know more but he is available to us for a year should we need him further (ie we don't need to be referred to him again within a year - might be useful). Dust mites - we have to wash his bedding weekly in 50*+ water and high drying temperatures and limit the amount of soft toys (OMG he has many!!!!). I think if I just stop him and Small playing soft toy baseball and throwing them at each other and stuffing them under the bed, it might help a little. Smallest and I have come up with a plan to keep his room as dust free as we can.

I took him back to school, got his late slip and came home for a cup of tea and a FaceTime with Grandma before dashing out of the door again to have a look at my newly fired pottery. I was responsible for emailing our group to get us together so we could all see each other's pots and then we went for lunch. We chose a Thai place (partly because I am vegetarian and partly because Suffolk is on a weird Exclusion diet at the moment). I didn't like my meal because it was full of tofu. I don't eat meat and I don't eat meat substitute so after I picked it all out, there wasn't an awful lot left. Plus I ordered a Ginger Tea and it was really sweet. Oh well at least I tried.

I loved everyone else's pots much more than my own and once again I was disappointed with my glazing.

Cheese plate, yarn bowl, birds, yarn bowl with my knitting on - oh yes!
Square pot for?? With spoon? Brie dish, spoon rest, heat thing,

I made dinner, the boys came home and did a chore and played on the Wii. We had dinner early today due to the fact that Small and Huffle had to get to football by 6pm. They had a good session and picked up a few essentials on the way home.

Smallest and I cleaned his room, changed his bed and vacuumed and dusted. We also put away all soft toys except for his precious smelly and Pluto but not before we vacuumed them first. The only downside to all this cleaning is that I am allergic to dust and now my face is itching and because I had spice at lunchtime my throat is sore. Bloomin' allergies!

We sat and watched the end of Nanny McPhee and then Smallest went to bed and we read Harry Potter.

 

 

3 comments:

Mrs Rumbleskins said...

Smallest is allergic to all the same things as his Aunty Rumbleskins! Dad was the same. I used to pop antihistamines on a regular basis but since getting a nasal spray its been a lot better. Poor Small xx

Mrs Rumbleskins said...

Smallest is allergic to all the same things as his Aunty Rumbleskins! Dad was the same. I used to pop antihistamines on a regular basis but since getting a nasal spray its been a lot better. Poor Small xx

famfa said...

That's interesting. Can't blame huffles side then! I'll give the nasal spray a try then. At least with smallest it's just s few weeks in spring when it's at its worst cxxxxx