Wednesday 6 April 2016

Arty Bottoms

I had to get up earlier than usual as I went off on a trip today with the boys to an Art Studio/Gallery for a Multimedia workshop. The boys went off on their school bus and I left Huffle (working) and Grandma and Grandad and drove to school. I met up with Small's teacher and asked if it was okay for me to go on the bus (as I had never been on one and being a huge Ferris Bueller fan, needed to know what a real bus smelled of.....). Small had said he didn't want me to be on the bus and I definitely WAS NOT allowed to sit with him. I sat at the front of the bus with the teachers and was disappointed that seats were not etched with rude words and sayings about the teacher. (Mr Rooney eats .........). Also the bus didn't smell of anything which is exactly what Smallest said four years ago when he first got on one! So disappointing.

Bet you never smelt a real school bus before

I spent the day with Small's class and we started by looking at the art on the walls and choosing our favourite one. Apparantly they have nights where Artists donate a picture and people buy a ticket and take away a one-off piece of art. I chose a beautiful black and white photo (though I didn't realise it was a photo at the time) of pine trees in the snow (well there's a surprise). We watched a video about Wonder Woman and then listened to the theme music and the kids had to write down words that were powerful and related to her. They were shown how words and the way they were written could have a huge impact on a poster or a comic or a painting. Next we went into a studio where the kids were shown how to draw a face step by step. This was really interesting. Draw five eyes across the face and erase the middle and outside ones - this gives you a normal distance between the eyes. There were similar things for the nose and mouth. I hope I remember them as I am not great at drawing faces but like to try every now and then. The idea behind the face drawing was that they each created their own superhero or villain. They used watercolour pencils and coloured their background and hair. While their paint dried we went for lunch which we ate in another studio while Smallest's class carried on thier pieces.

In the afternoon we talked about newspapers and headlines and the kids had to match photos with headlines. Then they were shown a painting, told a story about a thief and had to come up with good headlines and then a story to go with another painting. At the end, they finished off their superheroes by using material, wallpapers, buttons and beads etc. They did a really good job and Small used my help quite a lot. I also got to play with the hot glue gun. A very noisy bus ride back to school and a short drive home and I could get my much needed cup of tea. Today was very enjoyable and the kids liked it too.

While I was out I got a text and a photo of Grandad painting the fence in the snow (I knew he wasn't really painting because we hadn't got any paint) but it was just for effect for me!

At 3:30pm we all decided we would make a Roast Chicken dinner. Then we realised that the boys had to be at a basketball for 6pm so there was a mad rush to get everything peeled, cut and cooked in time. I don't know how we did it, but dinner was on the table for 4:50pm and we made it. Grandad, Huffle and the boys went to basketball and Grandma and I stayed at home with a glass of wine and we had some 'therapy' chat.

 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Is one allowed to ask what "therapy" chat is?

famfa said...

Does 'debrief' answer your question?