Thursday 20 December 2012

Just off the boat eh?

Lovely sleep. Small ran in at 7:30am, naked as the day he was born, saying "get up, get up". He and Smallest had both slept in. Huffle got a lie-in. The boys were breakfasted, lunched and gingerbreaded for their teachers and bus lady. Off they went to school.

Moo and I had showers and went to a Mall to get some more house pants and a last few presents, a quick trip to Starbucks (where I told Moo that the Windows were blacked out and people couldn't see in, which meant she could look at them strangely and say what she wanted, however I was joking............ha ha it was funny though!) and a dash around Dollarama. In the mall a man heard us talking and said "Just off the boat eh?" YES I AM! Moo said "what did he say?" He then explained that people used to come here by boat, like his parents did, his family were all English, although he had no family now...........

Huffle wrapped presents and watched india and England play cricket which he was very pleased about.

I had a message that my book had landed in the library so we fetched that on he way home. It is about how drinking water can heal you. I am making Moo read it and tell me what to do. its easier and less time consuming that way. Came back, put shopping away and had lunch.

Moo, Huffle and I went to the school concert and watched the boys perform in an hours worth of singing, banging, whistling recorders (only saying that because neither of mine were playing), tuneful and not so tuneful band playing, poems and lots of talking that I couldn't understand a lot of - much too quick for me. Some of the chairs were so low, there was no way of seeing over the heads of the eager photo snapping parents. (Don't get me wrong I was eagerly snapping too).

Smallest came on constantly pulling his jeans up, his belt obviously wasn't tight enough, his class sang two songs and spoke one poem.

So cute

Photos are not good. Poor lighting, too far away and my little IPhone are the excuse.

Small came on and his class played Boomwhackers (don't know how this is spelt). They played three tunes, one of which we knew! It was like handbells but a plastic tube hit on the ground. Very different. I felt this year's concert was a little less professional than last years. Maybe to do with the strike, or the Work To Rule! Anyway after an hour, it was over and we went home. It was really cold. We bumped into the mum and dad of Small's not-friend and they fake-smiled at us. Huffle's comment "ah well, lets not waste time on fakes". Yeah good point! We got home and started making Jam Tarts, Lemon Curd Tarts and Mince Pies. Huffle had made the pastry this morning. Huffle skyped Grandma and Grandad.

The mince pies and Jam tarts didn't work as planned. They didn't seem to cook through very well. They took ages. In the end, we put them in the bottom oven and changed it from convection to just Bake. Then put the Lemon Curd Tarts in. They cooked quicker and better. We also iced some gingerbread for Smallest's party tomorrow - one for each of his class. The boys came home in time to try one each.

Then Moo and I started assembling the Gingerbread house. We used various things to keep it from falling apart and it seemed to go well........

Until I stupidly thought I would put it in a tin for storage until we did the roof. Ahhhhhhhh, it fell apart. Same problem every year. But still I try, still I make it and stick it and break it, and stick it and break it and eventually a huge mess of a house is made and I dream of making an amazing structure one day. Then we eat it and it tastes great and we forget how much torture it was to make it AGAIN!!!!!

I decided to make Omelettes for dinner but they didn't work either. The heat didn't seem right. I have a lot to learn about this new cooker. We have read the manual and watched some videos. Practice, practice practice. Something had spilt on the bottom of the oven and was burning so Huffle and I read up on how to clean the oven and used the Steam clean option. It worked fairly well and cleaned up the spill with a bit of scrubbing from Huffle and I.

Meanwhile Moo went out walking with Drew - it had started snowing. Then it was really coming down. Moo came back.........

From top left working round to bottom right.... Moo outside our window trying to get our attention, Moo standing in the sunroom wringing wet, I sent her out to take a photo of her in the snow, it didn't work so I took another. She has been waiting for snow, I think she enjoyed it.

We sat and watched the snow with all the lights off. The boys played on the wii and and then watched a bit of TV before going to bed.

Another busy day. C'mon Christmas - need a rest now. Oh I forgot, we all (not the kids) sat and drank Baileys last night. Ah ha, tis Christmas then! CHEERS.🍸

 

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You can't beat a school Christmas concert, pity they didn't have 'parts'. Thank goodness it's snowed for Moo. Sounds like you are more ready for Christmas than us, I have a 2 day job cleaning up, not been in for week and a half! x