Wednesday 12 September 2012

Case of the missing King

I remembered the name of that poppy that we were digging up yesterday. Poppy celandine. It's an orange poppy and we grew them back in England. They seem a bit more prolific here though.

Last night whilst walking with Drew she told me to look up the famous Artist Tom Thompson (all because a new street has been named after him. He used to live here and she thinks he wouldn't be pleased with the new monstrous houses that are on a street with his name).

The Group of Seven were a group of Canadian Artists who painted landscapes. One of these was Tom Thompson who came from the Hamlet where we live now. the Group of Seven initiated the first Canadian Art Movement. Tom Thompson's most famous works are The West Wind.....

......and The Jack Pine. He died before the Movement was officially set up. They painted in the 20's and 30's.

There, homework done.

 

Everyone woke in the night again. Smallest got up to go to the toilet (good boy) and found he was left on the landing in the dark, he completely lost his sense of direction and stood there crying. I helped him back to bed. I asked him why he didn't just put the light on. He didn't know. I think I will give him a lamp tonight. Of course, this woke Small too who knew instantly what his problem was and told me, bless him. Huffle and I woke too. It took me a while to get back to sleep because my foot hurt.

Smallest got up late this morning but there is no school for him so it didn't matter, I let him sleep. Small went off to school. Smallest and I had breakfast together. A lovely sunny day today with temperatures of about 27*. It's definitely getting cooler. Certainly at night, which is good for sleeping. You can tell the mornings are cooler too, it takes a while for the day to heat up.

I ache so much today. My legs and bum hurt, probably from bending and weeding. OUCH! I am also sooooo tired.

Smallest didn't want to go out anywhere today. He decided on a lazy day. However, it was less than lazy. We played Downfall, built Lego, played table ice hockey, street hockey, tidied up his bookshelf, read a multitude of books. We skyped Aunt Pear and got to hear about her holiday in Sorrento. We spoke to Unc Pear and Smallest and him compared their trophies. We spoke to Cousin E & D briefly before they went off for some golf before their dinner.

We had lunch and I started my book 'Mockingjay' third book in Hunger Games Trilogy.

We started a letter to Aunty A and Smallest found some stickers to decorate it. We did a puzzle together and then I put Smallest in the bath. I always leave him to play, so I went up to the loft to tidy my craft space and wrap some presents. He shouted at me to come and look at a bubble he had blown, I said I couldn't come there and then and he would have to wait. Before I knew it he was screaming and shouting and threatening to smash all the things I liked. He threw stuff around in the bathroom, he came downstairs and said he would smash the TV with the remote, he picked up my new Garlic Storer and threatened to smash it. He was so angry. I tried to reason with him but he said it was just because I wouldn't look at his bubble and went around threatening. I shut myself in my bedroom and tidied in there instead. He banged on the door so much I thought he was going to knock it down. What an angry little boy he is. The phone rang and he listened to me telling some call centre person I wanted them to ring back later and speak to my husband. Smallest said "I know who you have spoken to and what you said! You have spoken to my teacher!". I explained who was on the phone. I stayed very calm, I don't know how. Because inside I was so angry myself. We had had a lovely morning and all he could do was shout at me "you won't let me do anything, you won't let me play, you won't do anything with me, I can't do anything ever, not today not tomorrow!". Honestly, I thought about adoption right there and then!

I told him if he was going to be so angry and destructive he better go and sit in his bedroom. He did for a while and then he came downstairs and said sorry. I asked him what he thought was the matter and he ran off crying. We sat in his room for ages, wiping his tears, rocking him and cuddling him. He said he didn't know why he did it but he was sorry. I explained why I was upstairs and that it was important what I was doing and that we could blow bubbles anytime anywhere. He said he understood. I'm wondering if it's all to do with school. A new year, a new class, a new teacher.

We played several games of animal lotto, guess who and Thomas Ludo. Then Small came home and joined us. He was really hot and wanted to go in the pool. The boys got their trunks on and went in the pool. I tested it and it was fine just green but clearish. They didn't stay in long because they said it was cold. They got out, argued, had showers and then Smallest did a jigsaw while Small did his homework.

I made dinner. The boys finished Smallest's jigsaw. Huffle came home and we ate dinner.

Huffle told us all about Richard III. His body has been found in our home town. There were rumours many many years ago that he was thrown into the River but he has now been found and DNA testing is going on. Huffle is very pleased as this has been a childhood mystery of his for ages.

A few days ago I mentioned that the boys made two jellies, one English Hartleys and one Canadian Jell-o. Hartleys won hands down. Shame as we have now run out. (hint hint Grandma and Grandad).

We all played Capture the Flag, the only person who knew exactly what they were doing was Small. The rest of us ran around, laughing, falling over and trying to get a flag thats really a hat!

I went for a walk with Mrs Royal and Drew. I told them all about my findings about The Group of Seven. I also told them about Richard III. I actually said to them "Richard III's body has been found where we used to live, well not in our house obviously!"

The sky was amazing this evening. Very pink. The Mosquitos were out too.

Oh I nearly forgot. About 9:30 last night we heard a fire engine race past the house, then another and then another. They all stopped outside the Beer Store. People came out of their houses and walked along the street to find out what was happening. I looked out from the front of our house but no further. Mrs R and Drew walked further on and said they would come back and report what was going on. They never found out. No-one knows. Weird!

Small shouting out of the window while I was walking. Hello Mummy, I'm up here. He needed to know which was the next Harry Potter book to read. They finished No1 yesterday.

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Loved the paintings. What a pity Smallest had 'a do', u seemed to hv coped well with him. Hope chat with teacher goes well. Pleased Hartleys won jelly contest, am making ours for the party tomoro. Off to play golf later didnt connect date to birthday and uni, what a twit. Hope Smallest has good day today. x