Wednesday 26 September 2012

Mac who?

Gutted. Every Tuesday Huffle brings home his laptop from work, plugs it into the TV, we make a pot of tea and settle down to watch The Great British Bake Off. (Yahoo was watching this live yesterday and emailed me at the same time, which meant I hadnto watch it!). However, we couldn't get it. Last nights episode wasn't on. Can you believe it? We will try again another day. Wanted to watch those yummy doughnuts being injected with gloppy jam!

Instead we watched Over the Rainbow and grimaced every time Arlene Phillips spoke. When the Dorothy's (can I just say that her name is Dor-O-thy and not Dorthy as they say over here) started singing 'ding dong the wicked witch is dead', Huffle said he wanted to see Arlene slumped over in her chair, naughty!

I had a restless night again. Too cold, too hot, needed the loo, Smallest got up after an 'accident' (though to be fair he sorted himself out, bless him, I only heard him because he closed his door and then closed the bathroom door and then opened it and then opened the bedroom door). Huffle went off to work, Small went off to school. Smallest and I had breakfast, bath/shower, played a game of Junior Monopoly, and then we played Banana Lego Game, then got ready and went out in search of a new park. We found one not too far away. There were women doing an exercise class (not one of them smiled!) while their babies and toddlers sat in their prams.

Smallest went on the park ........

A bit of climbing...

A bit of swinging around...

.........and then we got his scooter out and we went for a lovely walk.

Scooting

We passed ponds, wildflower meadows, a forest, a barking dog, houses, trees. It looked like it would rain so after a while we turned round and came back. Smallest went back on the park, then we drove home for lunch. I took lots of photos (for those of you that follow me on Instagram, I am sorry, I have posted them on there too).

We walked over a bridge
Past gorgeous wild flowers
Ponds with beautiful Auntumnal colours
Berries

Seed heads

We decided to have lunch in front of a film. Smallest chose Dumbo but we couldn't get it to play. I chose ET but Smallest got bored so we ended up watching Sid the Science Kid (not a film, just an episode). I crocheted, he watched the TV.

We went out for a scoot and ended up going over to talk to Drew (our neighbour).

Hibiscus I found in Drew's garden

We walked around her garden and then we went for a walk in the Corn Field. I told Smallest it was a Maize Maze - it wasn't but there was a lot of 'corridors'. Smallest loved it. We walked for ages and then turned round and came back to Mrs Royal's garden.

We stopped to say Hello (of course). She was about to go out for a walk so we joined her. We only walked for about 20 minutes, by which time Small was home (alone). I had left him a note saying I was out and would be back shortly. The note actually said 'Small, just gone out for a quick, be back soon, Mummy x'. Smallest scooted back to let Small know I was nearly home. Small said "I didn't know where you were!". Whoops, forgot the 'walk' bit!

Small started on his homework, ran off, cried, came back, tried again, ran off, cried, stomped, shouted, said sorry. OMG what is wrong? He had to write a conversation between a waiter and a customer - how hard can that be, we eat out lots! Every time I tried to talk to him, he just ran off. So when Huffle phoned home (he has to take some Amercians out this evening for dinner so we won't see him till late) I got him to talk to Small and find out what the problem was. It seems he is bored at school. Too much working from text books and too much of the same thing. I personally don't think he knows it all, as when he brings his homework home, there are things he doesn't always understand. Unfortunately he is nearly nine now. Time to do some work. Not playing anymore or watching TV and having fun. I realise learning should be interesting and fun and maybe the teachers aren't handling things brilliantly or maybe it is all text books here. I don't know! I'm sure we will work it all out.

Smallest and I played Monopoly again and then we all had dinner. Smalls friend rang to see if he wanted to go and play but he said he couldn't because he had homework. I tell him to get it out of the way as soon as he comes in but because he spent all his time running backwards and forwards this room, he has missed out on a play at his friends. I talked to his friends mum about Saturday. He has hockey practice and won't be back till after 2pm. I said that could work as we were planning to go late afternoon, see the fireworks at night and then they could have a sleep over. He has hockey the next day too and needs to be picked up 7:15am. OUCH! Still could work! She even said Small could go to practice with them if he wanted.

After dinner, Small did his homework (all through dinner we were pretending to be waiter/customer. It was easy once we started. Small has to try and fit at least four of his spelling words into the conversation too.

The words he needed to fit in were, breakfast, please, feast, meal, bread, spread, eager. One part of his homework read.......

Waiter : what would you like for breakfast? I would like to inform you that our breakfast special is our best meal and you have a selection of breads with spread. It is a feast.

Customer : I'll have that then.

We laughed lots at this. I can't believe he fit nearly all the workds in one sentence. He seems happier now he has talked to Huffle. Smallest and I played 3D Snakes and Ladders, Rhino Rump and then coloured in until I decided they both needed an early night (or was it me who needed an early night from them?).

Something I forgot to say previously,

Huffle and I have always prided ourselves on the fact that we have never taken our children to MacDonalds. We don't like it, it's rubbish and so far have avoided it! (what really, never? I hear you say!). Well when Small went to his friends (sorry haven't got a name for him yet) last weekend they took him there. Ahhhhh. Oh well, we have still not taken them there! And he only went for an ice cream!

 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The corn field reminds me of the Wistow maze, which has to be sunflowers this year because of the weather. Be careful of Small being bored, as he is pretty bright perhaps they arent stretching him enough. Excellent sentence though, well done Small. I booking for us all to go to Boxing Day panto today at Birmingham, price of tickets a little ouchy but if it's as good as last year it will be great. Yr package for HB birthday came yesterday so will give to unowho take tomorrow ( sorry forgot his blog name). xx

Anonymous said...

With you all the way on McDonalds, that stuff doesn't belong to any food group I know of! Lot's of walking yesterday, autumn colors are starting to show themselves here too, very pretty right now.

Hugs
Brenda