Friday 14 September 2012

Knitting and Swimming

I forgot to put this photo on yesterday of my boys in the school gym.

Both boys are at school today. Smallest's first Friday, but he was looking forward to it. The weather forecast said rain so I packed their waterproofs in their bags. I never checked to see if they still fit. Whoops. We may have a case of short arm syndrome today.

Today I pushed myself into going to a knitting group in a town about fifteen minutes drive from here. I thought it would be full of retired people not that I was bothered. I had no idea what I was going to knit. I visited the shop at the beginning of Summer with Moo and the lady whose shop it was, said you had to buy your wool from her, you got 10% off and that was the only stipulation. I picked up my craft bag, a pair of 2 3/4 needles, a ball of wool (just in case) and a pattern which included bed socks, tea cosies and a hot water bottle cover. Always wanted to knit socks and thought this might be the place to do it. I got there too early so I walked around and bought a few things as presents for upcoming birthdays.

At 10:30 I braved it and went inside, the table was full. Not of retired people although there was one lady there who had JUST retired. The rest were maybe a bit older than me and mainly very much younger. The main group was about four girls who were supply teachers, two had never knit before, one was in the middle of a cowl and the other was struggling with a hat/neck warmer. The retired lady was knitting a cardigan and was obviously very advanced. The lady next to me was knitting an exquisite looking sock on what looked like three toothpicks. At this point I thought I might just knit a scarf with the beginners. The lady who owns the shop came to talk to me and we decided she would teach me to knit 'on the round' with four double ended needles. I chose my wool. It knits up like you are creating a fabulous pattern but it is just the wool making it look like that.

Anyway, I loved it and unfortunately I can't go every week because Smallest is only in school every other Friday but at least its something else for me to do that's just for me.

When I came out of there two hours later, it was pouring with rain. I drove to the Swimming Pool and booked the boys in for swimming lessons starting in two weeks time. Then I went to the bank and banked the cheque from the umbrella people. I went and picked up a couple of Pot Mums from a place on the way home. I then came home. Had lunch and wrapped some presents. Potted up the potted Mums in the planters on the porch.

The boys came home. They played for a bit in the basement. They wanted to play on the Wii but it wasn't charged. Small went off in a huff saying he had had a bad day. Smallest had a tantrum because Small ran off in a huff. Honestly, the pair of them!!!! I got dinner ready while Smallest carried on his tantrum and Small tried to make me feel better. His 'bad day' was because they had three lots of science today and all they did was draw rocks and wrote about the characteristics of them. Then because it was raining they had to have indoor recess. No-one wanted him to play with them and it upset him a bit.

The boys and I had dinner. Huffle came home with a dodgy tummy. He had had dinner at lunchtime so didn't want any.

The boys played on the IPad with Huffle and I went out for a walk with Mrs Royal and Drew. We walked for nearly an hour. It was the first time for ages that I have worn long trousers and long sleeved top. It was certainly cooler.

Tomorrow my friend Aunty Miaow is getting married to Uncle Tuc. I wish them a wonderful day and wish so much that I could be with them.

Also tomorrow it is HB's birthday - 19 - HAPPY BIRTHDAY HB. She is also going off to University tomorrow. We wish her all the best, we know she will do well and be fabulous.

She's not changed
 

 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love sock wool because it knits up so beautifully it makes you look like a really professional knitter but the wool does all the work for you! Laughed out loud at the "toothpicks" reference. When I got my first set of DPN's I honestly thought I'd end up poking me eyes out or something! Socks look intimidating but if an idiot like me can do it them I'm sure you'll have no trouble!

Hugs
Brenda