Thursday 27 September 2012

Do you have leaves in England?

When I got up this morning I had a stinky runny cold! However by midday I felt fine. Weird! Huffle went off to work and was in an all day meeting - Poor Huffle - he still doesn't feel well. I heard on the family grapevine that Grandma wasn't well - Get better soon, a flight here is no fun when you don't feel well!

After I watched the kids get on the school bus, I made my breakfast, put it on a tray and sat and watched Downton Abbey - how decadent! Love it!

Then I got myself ready and went off to a supermarket to do some birthday shopping. So many birthdays in October (also managed a bit of Christmas shopping too - yes really!). When I left the house, it was cool and I was wearing jeans, vest, long sleeve top and a light scarf. When I came out of the supermarket 1 hour later, it was really warm.

I got home, put stuff away, Skyped Moo briefly to put my order in for some Christmas stuff, had lunch, skyped Aunt and Unc Pear. Prepared dinner. Yahoo Skyped me and then I went off to pick the kids up from school (yay I remembered!).

I bumped into a lady I like at the school and was brave enough to ask if she wanted to for a coffee sometime, she invited me to her house next week, the I remembered that Grandma and Grandad were here so I said I would ring her in a few weeks. But at least I made the effort and spoke. L to be fair, her and her husband have invited us round a couple of times since we have been here but we haven't been able to make it. He is English and she is Welsh. I'm trying to make more Canadian friends but it's hard!

We went to the library, Nan was there. We haven't seen her for ages so we had a good chat. Smallest coloured in, they both chose their books. Small started reading his before we left. We came home, started dinner, played Junior Monopoly. Huffle was late out of his meeting but managed to join us for dinner part way through.

I went for a walk with Drew. We laughed a lot. We were talking about the trees and how the colours were so lovely. She turned to me and said "do you have leaves in England?". yes, Drew, we have leaves, and we have trees!! She didn't mean that exactly, she meant did they change colours like here and did they fall. She loves asking about England. Later on, she told me AbFab was on tonight. I said "oh what side?". She couldn't understand me. Side? That doesn't make sense when you think about it. But when I told Huffle later he said it was probably a throw back from when tv's had only three or four channels. It's funny, we speak the same language but there are so many different ways of saying things.

the sunset on our walk - gorgeous.

Small had a better day at school today. He said there was a bit of text book work but not too much. He enjoyed playing football.

Smallest had a good day too. He learnt about Bus Safety and about Terry Fox (canadian athlete who died from Cancer - he was much more than that, but I am assuming anyone reading this will know who he is, if not, comment and I will tell you more). Anyway, the school are running the Terry Fox run tomorrow and they all take a toonie ($2).

I asked Huffle to take a look at the new fridge as the freezer door opens when you shut fridge door! He lay on his back on the floor to see if he could adjust one of the legs and said "they don't have bottoms like we do in England - ooo err!"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry, not heard of Terry Ford, lesson please. Glad Small had better day at school. Will put pic on Instagram of English leaves turning Autumnal, if i get chance but got up late and Ryder Cup starts Today so that's pretty much me done til Monday, Come on Europe, xx

Anonymous said...

I got asked if we have grass in England, and isn't it always foggy in London!! People are funny, there's only the one American couple that we've been friends with for practically the full 18 years that we've been here, we were a novelty for the rest of them but drifted away, or perhaps the novelty wore off. Most of our good friends are ex-pats like us, some English and some German.

Hugs
Brenda

famfa said...

Oh I don't feel so bad now, thanks. Yes it's funny what people say and think. We always get asked if we watch coronation street!