Tuesday 13 August 2013

Courgettes coming out of our ears!

Today was a stay at home day, as we had to wait in for passports to be delivered. They had tried four times before (while we were away on holiday). The boys played on the IPad after breakfast and then we got on with some baking. We had a glut of courgettes from the garden so a few days ago we made chocolate chip loaf which was lovely. Last night I made a Courgette Bread which sunk a bit on top (because we added cornmeal at the wrong time!). This morning Small made a Courgette Cinamon Chocolate Chip Loaf and Smallest made Chocolate Courgette Muffins. I made a Courgette, Potato and Cheddar Soup for dinner to go with the Courgette Bread. We still have one huge courgette/marrow left and half a dozen small ones (and that is after we gave two huge ones away). All recipes can be found on http://BusyButterfingers.blogspot.com

After the baking there was a lot of mess, you can imagine, two different cakes and a soup, peelings, cake cases, tins, bowls and a pile of ingredients. The kids cleared the table for me and emptied the dishwasher before Smallest and I filled it again.

The muffins came out very well and very chocolately and very moist.

The Loaf was too cinamony for me to try but the boys said it was nice.

The bread was nice, I especially liked the pumpkin and sunflower seeds in it.

I had to make another soup as the boys didn't like the courgette one - fussy! So I made a tomato one for them (with just a few big bits of courgette in - well it can't hurt them can it?).

Meanwhile, the passports went to Huffle's office. Arrrggghhhhh. So once the library was open, we cycled there, took our books back, got some more, had a go on the park and cycled back. A woman sat next to me at the park and asked me where you could grocery shop here. Her son and daughter-in-law had moved in this week and she was minding the kids. I told her all the places to go nearby and it made me realise we had been here for a while now and I knew places. One of her Grandkids will be in the same class as Smallest so I introduced them. Smallest was shy because it was a GIRL! And the girl was shy because she was a shy GIRL!

I don't know what is wrong with the boys but they are not being very nice to each other. Smallest seems very sensitive and clumsy (nothing new) and Small is argumentative and full of attitude. Actually none of this is new - they are always like this. It possibly seems worse because we are not out and about like we have been for most of the Summer Holidays. So I told them no computer, IPad or TV until they could prove they could be nice. They spent the next hour playing basketball and Lego together. I listened to them, and although I know they were being nice for a reason, it was nice to hear. However it didn't last long!

Huffle bought some tickets for himself and Small to go to the Wrestling in Toronto. It's a late one and on a school night so there was no way that Smallest could go, Huffle asked Smallest what he would like instead and he said he wanted to go to MarineLand. The advert for MarineLand is the one they are always singing and it ends with "everyone lurrrrves MarineLand". We always say "apart from mummy and Dadddy!". Smallest says that the first thing he will do when he is grown up is go by himself!

We ate our soups and bread. Smallest said at the end "tell us what was in the Tomato one then!" When I said there was courgette, he said "well don't put it in again!". Huffle wants to take me out on Friday night to the Jazz Festival as there is a man playing called who played with Prince and James Brown. I have sent an email out to four different people who have offered to babysit anytime, I wonder if anyone will. I don't like leaving the kids with anyone but these four are people I would trust implicitly in the absence of family or Moral Guardians.

Talking of Moral Guardians, Small asked the other day if Uncle Tuc was one of their Moral Guardians now that he was married to Aunty Miaow. I guess he is, but maybe I better speak to him about it first before we give him that title!

This evening I had a telephone call from MrsM to ask if I wanted to go with her to the Royal York rooftop garden tomorrow morning with a gourmet dinner included. Had to say no as I had nowhere to send the kids. Devastated!

2 comments:

Wonder Woman said...

One way to hide vegetables I suppose! X hope you get your evening out :-)

AA said...

Uncle Tuc a moral guardian??? Clue's in the word "moral".... ;)

Only joking Uncle Tuc. Welcome to the gang!

xxx