Thursday 1 August 2013

Would you like a bit of my sandwich?

Well the weather forecasters predicted rain all day and it did rain, all through the night, but this morning the weather forcast had changed to sunny/cloudy with 30% chance of rain all day and a higher chance from 4pm. Yah Boo Sucks to the weathermen then. We went on the beach before 10am this morning and we didn't come off until just before 6pm. A bit cloudy this morning but with beautiful hot sunshine, this afternoon it was a scorcher.

When we got on to the beach it was deserted except for a few dog walkers and early morning coffee strollers. So again we got to pick a premium spot. This time we decided to park ourselves away from the swimming safety ropes and camp just to the side, in the hopes that if anyone did come on to the beach, they would camp in the roped part and leave us alone. We had an hour or two of peace and then a family of five parked themselves less than a metre from my chair. Honestly there was so much room they really didn't need to sit there, it's not as if we have a huge welcome sign 'please come and sit with us, we are very friendly and love other families, especially noisy, smoky ones!' The other family were so close we decided to ask them if they wanted to borrow Huffle's sandals everytime they walked past us or sit in our chair.

We turned our chairs in a different direction in order that we didn't have to look a them. We played jackers, catch, the boys swam and body boarded and we built a fabulous sand castle.

We had a draw bridge, steps, moat, main entrance, flag and turrets

I popped back to the house at lunchtime to make some sandwiches and the owners Dad was there flushing away the eggy water. We had a chat while I boiled eggs and made a new eggy smell. He said he thought it would do the trick (his flushing, not my boiling of eggs) and to ring him later to tell him what we thought. I had to ask him about the smoke alarm (Huffle and I are convinced it is illegal to have a non working smoke alarm in a rented property). He said he would talk to his son about it.

Back on the beach, more people had moved on, luckily not near us. It seemed our plan of being away from the safe swimming area worked partly. Everyone else was crammed altogether. Plonkers. My favourite quote of the day was from a Mum talking to her young son "no don't drink that, it's beer!"

Today we saw some more interesting characters. Summer Santa riding on a ...... On the Beach giving young children rides - we didn't like it and we didn't encourage ours to go (not that they asked to). He kind of rode around looking at the kids, driving slowly, pulling funny faces. Our neighbours in our close camp wore Pj's all day on the beach - that's nice.

BR: our next door neighbours camp. The brown cap at the bottom was right next to my chair, that shows how close they were.

The weather stayed beautiful, sometimes cloudy but mainly hot. Huffle and I even went in for a swim and a body board. The water was freezing but it wasn't cold when you came out and the water seemed to get warmer the longer you stayed in. We were going to go out for dinner but decided to make the most of the weather (as it is supposed to be stormy tomorrow) and came back for a take-away. The boys and I had our showers in non-eggy water which we were very happy about. Ahhhhh luxury. When I told Smallest that the man had been to drain the water, he said 'were there any eggs in it?'.

Huffle got us a pizza and the boys ate it in front of the TV and Huffle and I sat in the garden watching the lake.

It has been a lovely day today. A surprising day seeing as were expecting rain but good all the same. Tomorrow is supposed to be more rain and storms but we'll see when we get up. We have no plans. There doesn't any point in making plans when the forecast is so 'up in the air'.

I haven't mentioned my foot for some time now. Over the winter it got much better, to the point that I wasn't wearing my supports anymore and it was only hurting me if I overused it. However, come Summer, bare feet, flat shoes, flip flops, pumps etc and it has all got very much worse. I can hardly walk again. My new sandals are great and when I wear them constantly I hardly feel it , but walking on the sand and in the house with flat slippers, socks or just bare feet is pure hell. I am trying to do the exercises I should have done all through winter and spring in case it helps. I can't remember what it was like last year, it seems so much worse. I keep looking at Birkenstock sandals because I know they are good ones for bad feet but they are so expensive, I feel I can't justify it. I wonder if there is an alternative?

At bedtime this evening I asked Smallest about his shower. I asked him had he washed his hair, YES. Did you wash your face? NO. Did you wash you shoulders? NO. Did you wash each of your ten toes? NO HOW CAN I REMEMBER ALL THAT and then he started counting his toes. Funny bear.

6 comments:

Mrs Rumbleskins said...

I wear birkenstocks. They are expensive but totally worth it. They are well made and will last a long time. And once you start wearing them you will never want to wear anything else all summer! They also make a cheaper brand called world walkers. I had a pair of those too. Just as comfy but they only lasted one summer.

Mrs Rumbleskins said...

I wear birkenstocks. They are expensive but totally worth it. They are well made and will last a long time. And once you start wearing them you will never want to wear anything else all summer! They also make a cheaper brand called world walkers. I had a pair of those too. Just as comfy but they only lasted one summer.

Sarah Tomson said...

Love my Birkenstocks, I have mailed you the link from the people I buy them from on eBay they are very reasonable and it says they deliver to Canada! Although am sure one of your lodgers could bring them out to you :-)

Did you not have an ice cream today? I am very disappointed with you! Hehe
x

Wonder Woman said...

That's one typical boy shower!! Made me smile :-D

famfa said...

Right I better get some then. Thanks

famfa said...

Thanks for link. Will sort once back. Bit lax with ice creams this holiday. Sure we will catch up xx