Friday 30 August 2013

What do you know about the ffffffffffffff*

A terrible night's sleep. I was too hot and had to turn the air con cooler and I had a bite on my ankle that was itching. Huffle heard a noise but was too sleepy to check it out. This morning I got up and had a shower and while I was getting dressed Huffle was making his way downstairs. I heard a big kerfuffle, then Huffle shouting "Sh*t, Sh*t. There's a bat, Sh*t, boys get in the bathroom and stay there, there's a bloody bat in here". He had opened up the roller blind on the landing and it had 'flumped' out and landed on the stairs. I thought it was dead, Huffle thought it was sleeping but it was just resting. "Fetch me something to put over it" he said. So I emptied the washing basket - "too big". I gave him the kids bath drum, "too small". I went from room to room emptying things like Smallest's Lego, the shoes, rifled through the recycling. Eventually he put an old Perspex box on top of it and it started to try to fly. "Fetch me something to put on top, flour or tins!". Before he tried to put something over it, he put on his long sleeved top and I gave him some ski socks to put over his hands.

Once we knew batty was secure, we got the boys out to have a look. Smallest said "is it a vampire bat?. I went next door and asked if they knew what we should do. Huffle wanted to ring 911!!. They gave me two big fishing nets and told me to catch it and put it out of the door, easier said than done! "Fetch me something flat to put under the box", so I brought him a shoe tidy which of course was too big, so I tried a shoe box. "Just put him in and close the lid". I said. Huffle laughed. He ripped the lid off and slid it underneath the perspex box, the bat just wanted to crawl underneath not sit on top. Eventually he was secured away with a lid and Huffle carefully carried him outside.

It looks nothing but I could see its teeth and he was very grumpy!

Huffle placed the box at the end of the drive and ran faster than the best women's (sierra leonne) 100m Olympic runner. It was very funny. It was recycling day and I was worried the box would be picked up by the Garbage Collectors. I told Huffle he had to take the lid off to let it out and as he started to move towards it, the bat stuck out its hand?! And crawled out and flew down the road towards the four corners. PHEW! I was only thinking the other day I haven't had anything interesting to write about for ages. Now the house is upside down, Lego all over the floor, shoes in a pile, bath toys upended, ripped boxes and I had to take the nets back to next door. I heard her Husband shout 'who is it?'. I said "it's that crazy English lady from next door". He laughed (cheeky thing!).

Once everything had calmed down, we had breakfast and the boys and I got ready to go to knitting. Huffle is working from home and has a conference call at 11 till 12 so I thought it was better to have the kids out of the house. They took their DS' and I took my socks to sort out. It turns out that I hadn't done anything wrong with my socks and I just need to carry on and follow the pattern, hurrah! I did carry on until 12. There was a lot of silly banter again as usual. The boys and I left with instructions on how to find a really good hidden bakery. Of course, it was that well hidden we didn't find it, so we ended up in a supermarket instead and bought some goodies for lunch.

At home, we had lunch in front of "back to the future" which the kids thought was great. I haven't seen it for many years and I had forgotten most of it. By the time it was finished it was mid afternoon. The boys went and played football and I mowed the back lawn. We all went in the pool - it was very humid again. We stayed there for the rest of the afternoon and then Small and I went in to make dinner while Huffle and Smallest carried on mowing and raking.

We all ate dinner and the boys watched TV while Huffle and I went on a Bat Hunt. We're going on a Bat Hunt, we hope we don't catch a big one, we're not scared, it's a beauuuuutiful day. Anyway, we searched every nook and crevice, every blind, every hole, every vent and rafter, every cupboard and wardrobe and we found nothing, thank goodness. We have no idea how he got in or how long he was there, but I wonder how many of us will have nightmares about bats tonight?

 

 

*quote from Batman by jack Nicholson as the joker

 

2 comments:

Wonder Woman said...

Bats, fabulous how exciting! You get all the fun :-D

Sarah Tomson said...

Yikes glad that didn't happen at my house , hope the boys weren't listening to the naughty words!!

Well done Huffle another skill to write on your cv :-)