Friday 2 August 2013

The storm that never was

There are loads of these wind turbines about here, I am intrigued by them. There are posters everywhere saying they are bad. I'm not sure I would like to live under one but I do find them fascinating to watch. They are supposed to make people nauseous, sleepy and dizzy and emit a loud low frequency noise (I would probably hate them then in reality) but I do like to photograph them.

As there was a storm due today, we went to a supermarket for provisions and things to keep little ones entertained during a storm. By the time we came out it was beautiful sunshine and we decided to chance it and go to the beach. It was also lunchtime so we took a picnic there too.

We watch this dog on the beach most days. His owner throws a stick in the water and he fetches it. The dog could do it all day according to the owner. Today he decided to bring me the stick so I threw it in for him, but not before he shook himself all over us. Ahhh thanks for that Pogfrey!

The clouds were very dark at times and it started at quite cool.........

........my rain sensor went into overdrive one or two times but overall it was a lovely day and we managed to stay on the beach for five hours.

We all went in the water, though it was chilly! We all had a go at body boarding. The boys and I made a fabulous sand castle.

Huffle always makes a 'pob' face when in the water.

Huffle and the kids played catch and we all played jackers. We all got some reading in. It was too blowy for football. Again we set up our Sunbrella on a prime spot. Not too close to the only other family on the beach. Not really expecting many people on there today, we didn't bother about spreading ourselves out. Well that was stupid wasn't it? It didn't take long for a family to park themselves just a metre away, right beside Small's discarded crocs. So close that I nearly fell into their hole they made.

At one point I sent Smallest off to find five interesting things. He came back with a skull called Bob among other things.

The kids and I went for a walk along the beach. When we got to the high sand dunes, they asked me to climb them. I told them I might not be able to because of my foot so they hauled me up there. The view from the top was great. I could see the whole beach.

Every now and then when we are on the beach we hear a BOOM. We don't think it is thunder as it sounds too loud. There is a Nuclear Power Station near and Huffle wonders if it is that making the low rumble. Once we came off the beach today (as it started getting very dark and threatening) the sun poked its nose out again and it was glorious. Still, we had been on for a while, everyone got their showers and we had Jacket Potatoes for tea. Yum yum.

Huffle and I sat outside while the boys watched TV. We watched a man paddle board. He paddled out quite a way and then surfed back on the waves. I was hoping he would carry on until sunset so I could take a photo of him but he gave up. I would imagine it is hard work. While we were outside we were discussing the campsite in the Provincial Park at the other end of our beach. We read the rules about camping, what you could and couldn't have. We were amazed to read that on certain day you cannot drink alcohol. One of these occasions is Victoria Day and the ten days proceeding it. Very strange!

 

Some of my random photos of the day

And tonight's sunset......

P.s. Noisy, cigar smoking, golf ball thwacking into lake, loud music boys have moved in across the road. Oh oh!

 

2 comments:

Wonder Woman said...

Have to say, your photography is excellent. Love the bird in the clouds xx

famfa said...

Thank you Wonder Woman. I love it x