Thursday 27 February 2014

Happy Birthday Pizza

It seems we have a new tradition in our house. This morning we were awoken by the boys coming in, marching around the bed making trumpeting sounds and throwing birthday cards at Huffle, then they crawled in with us, putting their little cold feet all over us while Huffle read his cards. He had some great ones this year. The boys and I had lovingly made ours, he had a British Bulldog one from Moo and from Grandma and Grandad a card that said it was from David and Samantha Cameron. Next Small went and got his presents and we watched him open them. He had new hair clippers, teas and a tea strainer ball, pyjamas (from Smallest who insisted he put them on immediately when he realised Huffle was completely nude!) and we framed a Doonbeg flag he got as a prize in golf a while ago (huffle edit - winning the Allianz national championship no less!)

Huffle worked from home today, the boys went to school, MrBasement came early and worked till late morning. Nothing much to show but hoping he has just the Primer to do now.

Day 9

We had a weather warning today which included Polar Vortex (ie very cold), 2-4cm snow and a white out with visibility of zero. Nice. I went to 'Suffolk's' house (it was on the way there that I heard the weather warning) where we chatted and sewed and crocheted. I helped her with her crocheted hairband and she taught me how to sew a bag step by step. We worked and chatted until nearly 2pm when we were so hungry we went off for lunch of soup, wrap and chocolate butter tart (ummm ummmmm) and then came back in time for the kids to come home. I drove home and just missed my boys getting off the bus.

Smallest wasn't feeling very well with a tummy ache, feeling sick and a headache so we decided we weren't going out for dinner as planned. He sat on the sofa under a blanket and we watched a bit of Robin Hood (animated Disney old style). He said he was feeling better so we got ready to go out only to notice he looked really poorly, plus Small was really tired. Huffle rang for a Pizza (no-one delivers out here in the sticks!) and I drove to pick it up. It was a very interesting journey. The temperature was about -14 and the wind was blowing the snow across the roads so it was really hard to see. The sun was out but starting to set and was really low in the sky. At the point where if it is in front you can see nothing at all except a very dirty windscreen. I stupidly put my windscreen washers on because I couldn't see a thing and it instantly froze. I had to pull over and try to clear it but as I drove off again, it froze up again. I opened the window (luckily I did, because there was a stupid old woman walking along the road and I couldn't see her and nearly ran her over, as did about three other cars!). My windscreen cleared, the sun went down and I arrived at the Pizza place just as the pizza was coming out of the oven. I attempted to drive home along the back road, thinking that if I needed to stop because of the snow blowing or the windscreen freezing, it would be safer. OH NO IT WASN'T! The roads were horrendous, not been ploughed, lots of snow and ice with more snow blowing across the road. This road is a very up and down one and on the down bits the surface was really slippy. I had various cars overtake me because I drove really slow (yes me!). I finally got home safely and we sat and ate a really nice pizza in front of the film Paranorman (the boys and I watched this at the cinema but it was good enough to watch again).

Smallest is feeling better but we gave him medicine and sent him to bed. Tomorrow is Pink day where the boys are supposed to wear pink - they say NO they will wear red instead. It is for anti bullying awareness.

Huffle hasn't had a great birthday but I'm sure we will make it up to him at the weekend. Tomorrow I will make him a Birthday cake - he has asked for a Victoria Sponge.

 

 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Huffle can have an official birthday next week, like the Queen. Sure Grandma "singing" Happy Birthday on Skype (and I use the word singing loosely) gave him a boost!

Wonder Woman said...

Happy birthday Huffle!!