Friday 21 February 2014

Water water everywhere!

I was awoken by Huffle with a disasterous look in his eye. We had had very heavy rain overnight, and thunder and the kitchen door had water running down the inside. This water was coming from the roof where there is no flashing, down into the kitchen and then into the basement. The basement was awash with water, almost the entire floor was covered. Small and Huffle both had mops in hand and were squeezing away the water. Small then set about getting his own and Smallest's breakfast which they informed us they would be eating in front of the olympics. He made them toasted muffins and honey with Apple Juice.

Meanwhile, Huffle and I carried on mopping. Huffle at this point decided not to go in to work and worked from home again, missing out on a Chinese Eat All You can meal for $5 and dress in your 'team' shirt (Huffle was to wear our big Union Jack). We mopped and mopped and mopped. Unfortunately the flooring which was sat in the corner of the basement got all wet (we rang MrBasement who informed us it was okay and wouldn't be damaged). Huffle dried it off anyway and eventually we finished clearing the water.

The school bus was cancelled so I drove the kids to school and picked up Smallest's friend on the way. The roads appeared clear but when I put my brakes on they didn't work. I'm guessing there was black ice on the roads. That's when I made my decision not to go to knitting today. I dropped the three kids at the 'Peck and Squeal' and came home for breakfast.

I had breakfast and Skyped Moo. She helped me with my knitting and I watched bit of Call the Midwife.

Huffle and I then set about sorting the driveway. Where Huffle's car usually sits, and where we had cleared the snow and ice back to the original surface, there was a pool of water with nowhere for it to go. It was already starting to form a mini ice rink. We chopped away at the ice and made a small channel all the way to the road which the water started to flow down, except it all turned to ice. Huffle then started carving huge bits of ice off while I shovelled the water, snow and ice away. Eventually (and I am talking at least an hour later) we made a decent channel from the car to the road. Every now and then a car or truck would pass and spray us with water. NICE! We were absolutely done in! Our backs, legs, hands and feet hurt so we came in and had a cup of tea.

I didn't know Huffle took this of me chipping away at the ice!

Huffle got on with some work and I made some Strawberry Muffins. We both stopped for lunch and half an hour of 'Shameless'. While Huffle got on with his work, I started a bread (but stupidly forgot the salt), made a Carrot and Tomato Soup and a Banana Loaf (with the black bananas I already had).

I did a bit more knitting, some washing and drying and tidying whilst finishing making the bread and soup and then went and picked up the boys from school. I got snowballed as soon as Smallest came out and then again when Small came out. We had a quick chat with one of the mums and came home.

The boys playing on the school field

Then it was a mad rush to get snacks, swimming gear and make sure the bread had baked. We all went to swimming. Smallest mastered his Whip Kick, did his 75m and did a lovely dive. Small was very tired today and struggled but managed his 500m as well as perfecting his strokes including the Dolphin which I find very funny!

Once home, we all had warming soup and saltless bread. The boys liked the muffins and we served them with a small blob of cream and a strawberry - we think these will be nice in the Summer when we are watching the Tennis.

During dinner I waded through a pile of paperwork that came home with the kids today. They are putting in a new security system so that ten minutes after school starts, the school will be locked down and you can only get in via the buzzer system. Not a bad idea as at the moment just anyone can walk in to any of the classrooms. Smallest got his 'Story Necklace Homework' back and he got an A. His teacher loved his story, especially the part about coming from England. He also brought home two letters he received and replied to from a penpal. I asked him where the letters came from (thinking he would say the other side of Canada or another country) - Ajax - a town about half an hour from us. Small bought home his "Eco House project" - he also got an A. Clever boys.

The boys watched TV and Huffle and I cleared away and played table tennis (not in our wellies as it is all nearly dry, just the bits under the original vinyl left).

Very tired now zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

 

1 comment:

Wonder Woman said...

This weather is becoming a real pain for everyone. Hopefully it will settle down soon. The muffins sound lovely!! x