Monday 3 February 2014

SHARP!

It didn't snow too much during the night, just an icing sugar sprinkling which unpolitely covered up our hard work yeasterday. The boys went off to school leaving me to tackle their stinky footprints all over the house. How can they not know when their socks are wet?

During my breakfast I watched some of Call of the Midwife. Love it! Then I got my shopping list, Shopping bags and Smallest's ice skates and went off for today's mission. At The Tire, I got Smallest's skates sharpened and it only cost me $4 - wow, I was expecting much more! Then I went and got food for the week, socks for Small and Jeans for me (I seem to be popping out of mine, damn all that chocolate, cakes and bread!).

Beautiful bright sunshiney (cold) day. In the bottom photo, when I took it, I could see Toronto as clear as anything. Might need your magnifying glass though!

Home, shopping away and I ate my lunch in front of Mr Selfridge while I finished off my Bear Hat.

I think it suits Smallest better!

A quick skype with Grandma and I set about making Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins. I decided on a Lemon buttercream. OMG it's amazing but soooooo lemony! Small likes it but Smallest doesn't - good job I made some plain ones then! He is so fussy. I love them, good job I bought bigger jeans ha!

This afternoon I did some more painting in the kitchen, a bit more of paint on the cupboards and one of the corner shelves. Before I knew it, the boys were home from school. I watched them get off the bus (they couldn't see me watching). Small threw his bag down and jumped on top of the biggest pile of snow. Smallest kicked his bags across the drive, laughed and then jumped on the same pile of snow and slid down like a penguin on his belly.

They both came in with wet socks again, Smallest straight to the bathroom for his afternoon ablutions, padding his wet feet all over my mopped floors arrrrggggghhhhhhhhh.

Small sat in his room doing his maths homework and Smallest and I built a skate Trainer for tonight's Beavers activity. I am skating with him in the Hamlet but I bought the trainer ages ago as it means I don't have to hold him up. Then he went into the basement and played with his cars while I made dinner. The boys have been set a task. Every evening they are to remove six games each from the basement (yes we have that many!), decide if they want to keep them and store them in their rooms (if they do want them, if not they go to the Garage sale box). This is to help us clear the basement for the work being done next week. So far Small has rescued all of his Monopoly Sets and discarded Junior Monopoly which Smallest then took in his possession.

After dinner Small and Huffle went off night Snowboarding. Huffle edit - we tried the Dagmar resort this time to see how it compared to our regular spot. A virtually empty piste was a great place for Small to work on controlling his speed and turning. A big crash on his buttocks on the first run wasn't the greatest start. But, he did really well after that and is progressing. We both tried out 'little momma' which was a higher slope and a good deal quicker. A sneaky hot chocolate and penguin (chocolate, not the furry ones) to warm up a little before attacking it again until alas time ran short.

 

Smallest and I went off to Beavers. Eventually after a game of dodgeball, we walked to the outdoor ice rink. Smallest got his boots on and one of the leaders helped him and his ice trainer onto the ice. I'm glad we had it because there was no way I would have been able to hold him up with my skates on. I was terrible. I needed help getting on to the ice because of all the snow and then once I was on all I could do was stand up and shuffle a bit. Eventually I got enough courage to move around but the ice was quite lumpy and watery. I even went through to the water at one point. Smallest plucked up the courage to leave his trainer behind and skated without it perfectly well. He fell a few times but he wasn't bothered. I was so very proud of him. He now wants lce Hockey lessons as he says he can skate well. I told him he could have skating lessons but I was not putting him in hockey NO WAY!!!!!!!!

We were turfed off the ice because it had just been flooded and left to ice over properly in time for the Winter carnival on friday. Maaannnn! So we didnt get long on it but at least it showed Smallest what it was all about and he loved it. I need to get on a proper ice rink and get my confidence back properly, I was very disappointed with my efforts!

 

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Would have loved to watch the skating and wobbling. Think you might be on a long but losing battle with the hockey. I inagine it's what Canadian boys do. Ps. Glad Small and Huffle didn't eat a penguin, you know how much I love them! x